Author Topic: Proper depth of side plate inlet.  (Read 8256 times)

LehighBrad

Proper depth of side plate inlet.
« on: April 10, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
Hello again fellas......I have a qusetion pertaining to my side plate inlet on a Lehigh longrifle I'm in the process of building. Should my side plate be inlet so it's completely flush with the surface of the wood, or should it be left so about half it's thickness or so is above the woods surface?? My side plate is just a plain brass Lehigh style plate punched from .080 thick sheet brass that I got from Track Of The Wolf. I do plan to engrave a simple border design around it, if that matters at all.  Thanks....

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Proper depth of side plate inlet.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:02:24 AM »
Most sideplates, like lockplates, are made with a bevel around the edge.  They should be inletted to this bevel, just like your lock.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:58 AM »
Here's a picture of one of Herman Rupp's rifles, and a side plate that I inlet to make a rifle along his lines.  I used 1/8" plate that I cut out myself, filed a bevel that used half it's thickness, and inlet the rest into the wood.  A plate of .080" thick is awefully thin to accomplish this.  I much prefer to create my own side plates rather than limit myself to something commercial.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »
Brad:   I do the same as Taylor - I cut my side plates out of solid stock that is 1/8" thick, then file on a bevel that is 45 degrees to a depth of 1/16" and inlet it to that depth.   This gives me added width in the lock panel area which will help to eliminate the dreaded"slab sided" look.   Example here is the sideplate for the"Masterpiece" rifle.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

LehighBrad

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:31:03 AM »
Thank you guys! Boy...I'm glad I waited to see what you guys had to say! :) I think I'll throw the side plate I have into my "unwanted spare parts" box and make a thicker side plate myself. I really like the look of a wider bevel around the edge of the plate anyhow which would be darn near impossible to achive with only .080 thickness to work with. Once again you fellas steered me in the right direction...thank you. ;D

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:43:57 AM »
Hello Blacksmoke,
That rifle wouldn't be a CVA, would it?
I don't think so!
Beautiful work.....how about a little more picture........it is great looking and fine looking craftsmanship.
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »
Old Ford:  You are correct the rifle pictured above is not made by CVA!   Yes - I would be happy share more photos of it if it is OK with the moderaters as I do not want to hijack this particular thread.  So if my additional photos have to be moved it's OK with me.   Anyway here are some additional photos:

H.T.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
My most sincere compliments!
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 03:28:16 AM »

Such a beautiful piece of craftsmanship! Outstanding!!!

Cobweb
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

realtorone

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »
Super Super Rifle.It would make anyone proud.

George

DB

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:17:09 AM »
Taylor looks like you inlet the lock bolts into the sideplate. How did you go about that?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:26:23 AM »
I am not sure about how Taylor does his but I was using the drill that matched the size of the screw head and just burried the edge of the drill into the plate so you can then take a same size drill and grind off the point to make a flat bit and go back into the recess cut to start with in the drill press and run it slow to flatten out the bottom of the partial drilled section put the flat point into the recess before starting the drill press or you will mess up the plate.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:18:51 AM »
I was using the drill that matched the size of the screw head and just burried the edge of the drill into the plate so you can then take a same size drill and grind off the point to make a flat bit ...
Haha, wouldn't that then be called an end mill :) ?
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:03 AM »
I used a 3/8" end mill, or was it a 7/16"?  ...and a drill press.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

DB

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »
Thanks Taylor