Author Topic: A tip for you that don't have a screw plate  (Read 7834 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
A tip for you that don't have a screw plate
« on: October 21, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I needed to remove about one threat today. I didn't feel like making a screw plate. Even if I need to.  Mount the screw in a split die but in the vice and file away. 
I don't know why I haven't done it before
David Veith
David Veith

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: A tip for you that don't have a screw plate
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:24:21 PM »
David,

I always use a split nut of the same thread as the bolt. Just hacksaw through one side of the nut. This also lets you mount the bolt into a three jaw chuck and have the head of the bolt clear the chuck jaws.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:44:18 PM »
In this case it was a over size 12/28 thread and I didn't have a nut for it. Was more pointing out one more way to skin the cat. ;D ;D
David Veith
David Veith

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
Both nice idea's -- with all this creative thinking going on their should be a whole bunch of skinless cats running around  ;D!!!
In this case it was a over size 12/28 thread and I didn't have a nut for it. Was more pointing out one more way to skin the cat. ;D ;D
David Veith
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:16:51 PM »
I honestly don't have a clue what you all are talking about.   ???
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
OK - Say you just installed your lock nail an it comes thru the lock plate a thread or two.  You don't want to be filing it down on the lock plate and scoring it all up so you scew it thru a plain ole nut that you sawed thru one side and clamp it in the vise an file away the offending threads.  The saw thru on the nut is so it will collapse and hold the screw tight while filing.  I should use this trick more often myself - usually just file and grind by eyeball but this is far more accurate................Lynn
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:37:11 PM by Lynn Cook »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »
Here is a little gizzie that will save you half a lifetime of messing around:

It has the tap drill size, body size and a TAPPED hole, for national coarse AND fine threads.

With this plate, I screw the bolt through, cut it off with a hacksaw, and either file or grind it flush with the back of the plate. When you unscrew the bolt from the plate, the threads get cleaned up automatically.

Great reference when you want to know what drill to use for tapping a certain thread. Not sure what drill you have in your hand? run it through the hole, and you'll know if it's the wrong size.

It's almost like having a brain.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:58:19 PM »
And, yes, there is something very wrong with me.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

It's almost like having a brain.

I have a brain. I just don't know how to use it, but I'm learning.   :P

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »
I just grind my excess off and slightly bevel the end of the screw.  If you file it down flush with the plate, you end up with a little thin slip of metal where the thread feathers out, which will curl up and come off (and probably slice your fingers wide open).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:14:28 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
I have a brain. I just don't know how to use it, but I'm learning.

There are many types of brains.  They all do different things.  The secret is finding out what kind of brain you have and learn to use it, instead of trying to learn what someone else's brain will do.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Black Hand

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
I have a brain. I just don't know how to use it, but I'm learning.

There are many types of brains.  They all do different things.  The secret is finding out what kind of brain you have and learn to use it, instead of trying to learn what someone else's brain will do.

Well said!  Sometimes much is lost in the translation between one type of brain and another.  That is why pictures are worth a thousand words (and sometimes more)....   

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:17:51 AM »
I cut mine off with a hacksaw about one thread too long and chuck it up in a hand drill. I then spin it lightly against a grinder and then a wire wheel. Puts a nice finish and small dome on the end.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 03:17:13 AM »
OK Chris - Ya got me - I left out the Chamfer/deburr;-)

Really I only flush out the screw behind the cock and frizzen spring,  all the others that come thru I like the sort of domed look....................Lynn
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:19:05 AM by Lynn Cook »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......