Author Topic: KUDO'S to DAVE KECK  (Read 10575 times)

Offline t.caster

KUDO'S to DAVE KECK
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »
I decided to have Dave at Knob Mountain Muzzleloading in Berwick, PA inlet and pre-shape my latest project, and I am happy to tell you, I have NO REGRETS! He has all of Fred Miller's stock patterns, among others, and has pics of them on his website. I am doing a loose rendition of RCA-19, and I chose one of his Early German Fowler patterns because of the profile and cheek piece shape, he has two, with different stock dimensions to choose from. I came to trust Fred over the years, but never knew "for sure" what I would get back from him. Now we have pics and dimensions posted online to take away the mystery. This is great for outside of PA dwellers, who can't just stop by and look at the patterns. He is willing to modify his patterns if you don't see what you want, and is easy to access online or phone. He is a nice guy to work with, and so if you haven't tried him yet...I feel safe recomending  him to you!
And NO he didn't pay me to say these nice things....he earned it!
Tom C.

greybeard

Re: KUDO'S to DAVE KECK
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:07 PM »
I'll second that motion.
Cheers   Bob

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
And these pics and dimensions are online where?

:)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:43 PM »
I love his work.  I pick up a Lehigh tomorrow in Bedford from Dave.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:30:51 PM by bdixon »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
You'll find everything here. Dave is a great guy to busness with.
http://www.knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/stocks.html

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
I have had the same great service and his castings are wonderful to work with as well. A real great guy to deal with. Bob

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Dave does great work, I've always been very satisfied.

Dave, if you're reading this, HUGE help with the photo's of the patterns!!  I've already picked out a few for my list...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:24:25 AM »
Wow, some of them look pretty dang good!  And check out those guns with 2 1/2" drops!  Right on!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:09 AM »
That's almost cheatin  ;)

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
Yup, I've got a kind of funky gun I'm planning for my wife. Dave was able to find something that with some slight modifications (which he is more than willing to do)  is going to be just the ticket. I've got a couple in the closet from Dave and they look great. I just need to find the time to start them!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:31 AM »
Here's a couple pics of said rifle.

The business end of Bobby Hoyt's .62 cal !
Tom C.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:24 PM »
Looks good. Now the work begins.
Gene

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
Gene, I was afraid this was going to be a heavy club, but it isn't. It has a nice balance already and pulls right up for me with about 3" drop. It'll fit you fine when I'm done with it!!!!
Tom C.

Offline Knob Mountain

• Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:15 AM »
Sorry I'm a bit late on this but with all the compliments it took a few days for my swelled head to get back to its normal size so I could type.

I try to do my best.

I'm looking forward to working with all of you again in the future.

Now back to the sawdust pile.

Thanks
Dave Keck  Knob Mountain Muzzleloading Berwick, PA

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »
Add my name to the list of happy customers. I'll do it again, about as soon as I decide on a profile for my 46" A-wt .40. So many choices...
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
I met Dave this past weekend at Bedford Village, a true gentleman to say the least.

Paul
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Tizzy

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
I know I'm just restating what the others have already posted, but I'm another satisfied customer, and I'll give credit where credit is due.  I had Dave inlet a Beck profile barrel, and profile from the rear portion of the panels back. He did an outstanding job, wonderful inletting.  I also purchased some of his brass furniture. Though I haven't worked them yet, they look great. I will definitely use him in the future.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
So, does anyone know what kind of duplicator he uses and is it capable of machining the wood to within a few thousandths of finished form?

The pictures shown are a bit coarse for what I want, which will require several bit changes to achieve.  I have my own duplicator and cannot turn out the quality I want on mine.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson