Author Topic: Working Up a Load - Some Thoughts (PHOTOS on Page 3)  (Read 17027 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Working Up a Load - Some Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 02:00:29 AM »
Darn interesting posts!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
Remember, Daryl only shoots a Sapergia Nitro Magnum Improved load. Fifty grains of 2f shot excellent out of a 38" barrel near 1700fps.Dead chipmunk!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:57 PM »
James,
  My load consisted of 50gr. 2F, .395 ball, and .020 denim patch, lube-winter windshield washer with neatsfoot oil (about 3 tablespoons to the quart of WWW).  The barrel was a Rice 38 inch offering,48" twist.Might be worth a try. Good luck to you.Regards, Roy

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:32 PM »
Too bad we never really worked up a load for that rifle on paper, LB.  You might have found it wanted more powder.  Yes - you shot it well - the X ring on a steel plate is larger than on paper.

It will be interesting to see what your new .50 does - on paper.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »
No, tested the 40 on paper with that load. Only three shots, nice tight group at fifty yards. Didn't want to take a chance on ruining a single ragged hole. And yes, have spent no time on the bench with the 50 other then initial sight in. I just hate bench shooting.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:44 AM »
You can play around as much as you want with different size balls, patches, lubes, but, sighting is still the biggest problem
in shooting tight groups.    If you don't think this is true, attach a scope to your gun and try it.............you'll be amazed.....
......Don

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 05:41:22 AM »
You can play around as much as you want with different size balls, patches, lubes, but, sighting is still the biggest problem
in shooting tight groups.    If you don't think this is true, attach a scope to your gun and try it.............you'll be amazed.....
......Don

While this is correct even with sighting errors a load that shoots into 3/4" or less at 50 yards will still shoot smaller groups than a load that shoots 3" at 50 yards. While in theory the sighting errors is the same for both loads the dispersion will still be smaller with the more accurate load.
Don King did put a scope on "Kings Ransom" at one time. It reduces the error in load development. So a truely accurate load can be worked up.
Plugged the screw holes with silver when he was done.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

xring2245

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
"You can play around as much as you want with different size balls, patches, lubes, but, sighting is still the biggest problem in shooting tight groups.    If you don't think this is true, attach a scope to your gun and try it.............you'll be amazed.....
......Don"

Absolutely true!  But as Dphariss said, a smaller group even with sighting-in issues, will still be smaller than a larger group.  I have held center and six o'clock and still have flyers that I can contribute to sight allignment and sight picture.  It's frustrating when I shoot four shots in one hole and a fifth two inches away.  I guess if I was able to do it perfectly every time, there would be no reason to go to the range.

Anyhow, since business is slow, I do have the time and a day at the range is always better than _____ (you can fill in the blank.)  I have enjoyed the posts to this thread.  I have found them very useful.  Thanks to all for sharing.

James

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »
I am thinking of making up a set of 'buckhorn' sights for the .40 & .45, just to see what they can do.  I've been fairly consistant with benched 1/2" gorups at 50 yards with them, but have difficulty at 100. The proper sized aiming point is also vitally important, just as it is in scope shooting.  If too large, then the larger it is above 'perfect' the larger the group will be. If too small & you can't see it properly, groups will suffer again. An aperture or sight that can be used as an aperture, geatly expands the list of useable aiming points.

xring2245

Working Up a Load From the Bench
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
I was at the range today working on a load for my Atkinson .45 Cal. flintlock.  I am trying Hornaday .451 RBs with loads from 55 to 70 gr. 3F Goex.  The results are OK, but nothing to write home about.  I am including some photos.

This is a table I use as a loading bench.  You can see my shooting kit, powder can with spout, solvent in the blue bottle, box of Hornaday RBs, tin with patches lubed with LVL, and the double hook I use to hold the rifle.

I don't like a cluttered shooting bench.  I usually use a chronograph and will have the terminal on the bench to the right of the rifle, but I did not use it today.

Looking downrange.  I use 50 yards for load development and sighting in.

Tools of the trade.  Three kinds of short starters (left), and two mallets, the white is an 8 oz. hard rubber mallet and the black is a 28 oz. hard rubber mallet filled with shot.  I need these for oversized RBs.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Working Up a Load - Some Thoughts (PHOTOS on Page 3)
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
Jeez another neat freak ;D ;D  Makes me feel like a slop when I look at my shootin gear that looks like a land fill.   (I had to hide my mallet, toooo many lumps on the back of my head from coming home late ::)

Thanks for the pictures. 

Daryl

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 04:40:59 PM »
I don't have a mallet - never used one - guess my loads aren't tight enough.

I do have a hammer in my 'tool' box for adjusting sights on other people's rifles. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:55:58 PM by Daryl »

xring2245

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
I don't have a malley - never used one - guess my loads aren't tight enough.

I really do not like having to use a mallet to short seat RBs.  "They" didn't use them in the past when they were afield and I would prefer not to either.

What I hope to do is to find two accurate loads - a field load that I can seat with the ramrod/wiping stick and a target load that I will use when I go to shoots.  I probably have the field load chosen already, but the elusive target load is still in the future.

James

Daryl

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 07:59:16 PM »
James, for accuracy shooting, I suggest perfectly cast balls instead of the swaged variety.  Many accuracy minded shooters weigh balls for match shooting as well.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 01:42:12 AM »
xring, try some 2f also.

xring2245

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35:16 AM »
Posted by: CanvasBack  "xring, try some 2f also."

I plan on reshooting everything I had done with 2F as well.

Posted by: Daryl  "James, for accuracy shooting, I suggest perfectly cast balls instead of the swaged variety.  Many accuracy minded shooters weigh balls for match shooting as well."

I don't have a .451 RB mould yet.  If the swaged bullets shoot well, then I will hunt for a .451 mould and cast them myself.  Right now Mike Amico has cast a few for me and the cast and swaged both seem to shoot OK.

If the weather isn't so bad tomorrow, I will be back at the range.  Unfortunately, very bad weather is forecasted.   >:(
James

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
Posted by: CanvasBack  "xring, try some 2f also."

I plan on reshooting everything I had done with 2F as well.

Posted by: Daryl  "James, for accuracy shooting, I suggest perfectly cast balls instead of the swaged variety.  Many accuracy minded shooters weigh balls for match shooting as well."

I don't have a .451 RB mould yet.  If the swaged bullets shoot well, then I will hunt for a .451 mould and cast them myself.  Right now Mike Amico has cast a few for me and the cast and swaged both seem to shoot OK.

If the weather isn't so bad tomorrow, I will be back at the range.  Unfortunately, very bad weather is forecasted.   >:(
James
Weigh 'em Jim weigh 'em ::)

Southron

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
Different "lots" of  black powder sometimes (but not always) shoot differently.

I found this out the hard way when I developed a "super accurate" load for my Parker-Hale P-58 Naval Rifle using FFFg Schutzen black powder. Unfortunately, I ran out of Schutzen and purchased a few new cans of Schutzen (but these cans were from a different "lot.")

With the new "lot" of powder, my groups tripled in size-so I had to work up another accurate load using the new powder.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:49 AM »
Different "lots" of  black powder sometimes (but not always) shoot differently.

I found this out the hard way when I developed a "super accurate" load for my Parker-Hale P-58 Naval Rifle using FFFg Schutzen black powder. Unfortunately, I ran out of Schutzen and purchased a few new cans of Schutzen (but these cans were from a different "lot.")

With the new "lot" of powder, my groups tripled in size-so I had to work up another accurate load using the new powder.

This is the advantage of Swiss. Its pretty consistent.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

xring2245

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
Went to the range yesterday, but got there in the middle of a hurricane  :'(  I shot bullseye pistol instead as the pistol range is more protected.  Eventually, the rain did stop and the sun came out for .2 second.  Tomorrow is the Southern Chester County shoot and I will be back testing on the range next Tuesday.

James