Author Topic: chunk gun shooting question  (Read 6067 times)

Offline dave gross

chunk gun shooting question
« on: October 23, 2008, 04:15:47 AM »
Could I get from some of the members an explanation of chunk gun shooting. What are the targets used, how many shots per target and how scoring is done?
I know that Daryl in the Great White North has been involved in this..and I think Mr. Getz has knowledge to impart, but information from any quarter will be welcome.  Thanks.

Dave Gross
Way down east in Maine

Candle Snuffer

Re: chunk gun shooting question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:41:53 AM »
Take a look at this link, Dave.  It's pretty informative.

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol3no2/articles/mbo32-1.shtml

Here is another link to look at;

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~toadhall/over_the_log.htm

And it wouldn't be complete without this link;

http://www.americanhistoricservices.com/html/all_york_results.html
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:53:05 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline dave gross

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
Thanks Joe.....I'll have a look at those sites today.  I don't think that there are any chunk shooters around these parts but I'd like to know about the sport anyway.

Dave

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »
You're welcome Dave.  Our White River Brigade ML Club was holding one once a
year but this year we didn't.  Mainly it was because most of our members age and
the up and down that gets to all of us.  We're an aging group made up of mostly veterans and we're just not in shape anymore like we use to be.

I'm not saying these matches aren't fun, they are!  We just pay for the up and down after the match for the next week or so.  We opted for two X-Stick Matches this past year instead.  For some reason these X-Stick Matches don't seem as hard on us aging out of shape ol' f@rts as the Chunk Match does.

I did get to shoot in the Chunk Match here at ALR this year and did enjoy it.  Paid for it for several days afterwards, but still had fun. :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:58:26 PM by Candle Snuffer »

don getz

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Candle....you got that right, that getting up and down just got too much for me, can't do it any more....I really miss it tho.
Lowell explained the shooting procedure pretty well, but mostly described the shoot at Friendship, which is a little different from most of the other chunk gun matches held throughout the midwest.  Most matches consist of shooting ten
one shot targets...you are issued ten targets which you number one to ten, and shoot them in progression, along with
all of the other shooters...shooting one shot at each target.  Each target is "scored" by measuring the distance from the
middle of the bullet hole to the X on the target.   This is done with a calipers, and is measured in thousands..to three places.  For instance, a hole that is 1 1/2" from center would be measured "1.500", and in many close matches these
measurement become critical.  At the end of the match, these measurements are added together to represent you total
"string" measurement for the match.   When I first got into this game, a measurement of 6" would probably win the match, but today we have guys shooting 3 1/2" strings.  If you think you can do this, great....it equates to averaging
less than 3/8" from the X on every shot, for 10 shots, at 60 yards.  We have guys doing this today and that is some
awesome shooting.................Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:48:58 PM »
year but this year we didn't.  Mainly it was because most of our members age and
the up and down that gets to all of us.  We're an aging group made up of mostly veterans and we're just not in shape anymore like we use to be.

I'm not saying these matches aren't fun, they are!  We just pay for the up and down after the match for the next week or so.  We opted for two X-Stick Matches this past year instead.  For some reason these X-Stick Matches don't seem as hard on us aging out of shape ol' f@rts as the Chunk Match does.

I did get to shoot in the Chunk Match here at ALR this year and did enjoy it.  Paid for it for several days afterwards, but still had fun. :)
Can't get up and down?????? I beg your pardon - how old are you guys anyway.
Do they beat 77?     There is a knack to it!  Down = no problem  Getting up kinda roll over and get one knee under your ol bod then the rifle as a crutch or leave the rifle on the chunk after firing then after you get up (and not too dizzy) bend down and retrieve that rifle and haul it and yourself back to the bench (muzzle up of course) to reload!

That cant bar allows you to let the rifle on the chunk as you pull back to kneeling position then to one knee and onward. 

Of course a young 76 yr old blondie or blue haired gal would help to get you up ;D

Ohioan

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
what would a typical barrel measure across the flats?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »
Zach,
There is no standard barrel size for chunk shooting. I have some that go from 7/8" across the flats to over 2".  Barrel length also varies but for the most part the fellows use longer than normal barrels. See me at the show his weekend, I will have at least one chunk gun with me.
Mark
Mark

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »
 Up in God's country (that would be Michigan) our log shoots held at Brokenlock Muzzleloaders Gun Club  Riverdale Mi. if you are unable to get in the prone position you may use a bench. I would rather have a shooter do that then stay home .We can learn alot from our elders and I respect each and everyone of them. Last weekend at Zenia Ohio you had to average around .435-.440 for the five shot agg. to place in the top three places. One relay I had a .187 and did not place in the top three for that relay . All you need is a 6x8 piece of paper draw a 4" circle on it and through the center at a 45 degree angle draw an X as shown.  You will not be able to see the X so you need a aiming point (spotter) made of any shape and color pinned on your target to attain a group. Take that spotter and place the group over the X on your next target and you are good to go.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:52:42 AM »

Can't get up and down?????? I beg your pardon - how old are you guys anyway.
Do they beat 77?     There is a knack to it!  Down = no problem  Getting up kinda roll over and get one knee under your ol bod then the rifle as a crutch or leave the rifle on the chunk after firing then after you get up (and not too dizzy) bend down and retrieve that rifle and haul it and yourself back to the bench (muzzle up of course) to reload!

That cant bar allows you to let the rifle on the chunk as you pull back to kneeling position then to one knee and onward. 

Of course a young 76 yr old blondie or blue haired gal would help to get you up ;D

Not so much the up and down while were there shooting the match, (though I do believe the entire line (including me) caught a cat-nap on target 7 of 10 a few years back)... ::) It's those days following the match that we breakout the Tylenol... ;D