Author Topic: ball park musket value  (Read 2241 times)

Offline tiswell

ball park musket value
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
Guys,
     I will be attending an auction tomorrow where they will be selling an old flintlock. I just got a glimpse but it appears to be a military musket. I could see that the top jaw and ramror were missing and that it was really long. It was next to modern shotgun and rifles. but as a guess I would say that it was between 60 and 66 inches long. It is far from pristine, the stock looked black and from what i could see it was rough. I will get an opportunity prior to the sale to look at it closer, but if it happens to be say an 1816 common rifle, what would be a ball park value?

Thanks, Bill

Offline TPH

Re: ball park musket value
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
It depends on what "long" means. If it has a 42' barrel, it may be a M1816 smoothbore musket, not a M1814 (33" barrel) or M1817 (36" barrel) Common Rifle. You need to do a lot better on the description, it could be US,  British, French or just about anything. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
T.P. Hern