Author Topic: Side plate  (Read 4195 times)

stone knife

Side plate
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
What are the advantages of a side plate vs no side plate. I want a poorboy so I'm debating this option.

Offline Old Ford2

Re: Side plate
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
Welcome to this fine establishment!
The sideplate supports the screw head, while the screw (lock bolt ) holds your lock in place.
In many cases the side plate adds finish and grace to the design.
Also, with a proper fitting side plate, the risk of cracking the stock is diminished, as there is less stress on the wood, while tightening the screw.
Remember "Poor Boy " rifles were very simple and yet functional in design, made with the minimum of purchased materials, so much if any adornments were avoided.
Have a great day! ;D
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »
I suppose if you want to reduce stress on the wood, you might consider using a fairly large head diameter on your lock bolts. Would be more authentic styling, IMHO, than the small headed lock bolts ("side nails", to be persnickety) currently available.

Such large head size lock bolts may not be readily available.

I usued to make mine by buying a carrage bolt for its large head, hand cutting screw-driver slot with a hacksaw & files, filing off square stuff & hand-threading to fit.
Caustic soda/lye, or Drano, whichever Our Fine Government will allow you to buy currently, will dissolve remaining zinc galvanizing.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
I do not use a sideplate on my barn guns, but, as Jim said above, I do use a lock bolt with a 1/2" diameter head.   I don't
think there should be any problem by not using a sideplate, after all, there is no need to really crank down on tightening
those things, just snug them up...........Don

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
No side plate - single screw lock -  never nocticed a side plate was needed on this rifle, nor does it need a second screw.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Daryls, Is that a Robertson or a Phillips?  :o ;D   Pretty little gun.....for a girl!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:40:43 PM by CanvasBack »

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:45:39 PM »
I've noticed on poorboys without a side plate some makers have a simple flat piece of metal - something like a washer - under the single lock bolt.  Shouldn't this arrangement suffice to protect the stock?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

stone knife

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »
I opted to order it with a sideplate, I'm not concerned with being correct I want a cool looking functional gun that will bring the meat home.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 02:45:44 AM »
I've noticed on poorboys without a side plate some makers have a simple flat piece of metal - something like a washer - under the single lock bolt.  Shouldn't this arrangement suffice to protect the stock?

Protect it a @!*% sight better than no washer.  There is nothing but wood underneath my screw. It gets removed each and every time I use the rifle, which is often - I really enjoy shooting the .32.