Author Topic: Ford Brothers Info Wanted  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Ford Brothers Info Wanted
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
Over the last couple of years I have seen a couple of pretty plain rifles around the internet made by the Ford Brothers. I now have a friend down state who is selling a rifle for another friend that is signed by these guys. I will probably make the trip to see it early next week, but would like to find out any information about the Ford Bros and their surviving rifles that are still around. Any help here is always appreciated!.....Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Ford Brothers Info Wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:51:44 PM »
There are a couple of gunmakers named Ford, but I think "Ford Brothers" was a lock maker, and not the maker of the gun. Is this rifle signed on the barrel "Ford Brothers," or is it the commercial lock stamp?  Shelyb Gallien

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 01:44:35 AM »
You know Shelby, now that you mentioned it, I think Ford Bros was on the lock plates of the rifles I've run across over the internet. The rifle that is up for sale was described to me as a Ford Bros. longrifle. I will have to check it out and report back. Thank you.....Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 12:47:50 AM »
Here is a URL to the only "Ford" gun I know of.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/images/MP-104c.jpg

Hurricane
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:12:37 AM by hurricane »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
Thank you Fred for the link. I have seen pictures of that particular rifle, signed J. Ford who I believe if my memory is correct was John Ford. A late era Western PA builder. I do not know if he has any connections to the Ford Brothers lock makers.  I look forward to seeing the rifle that is up for grabs down state. Of coarse handling any and all original longrifles, especially on a routine business trip, puts new meaning to mixing business with pleasure! ;D
Joel Hall

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:26:02 PM »
Joel, I've owned a couple John Ford rifles through the years.  He worked out of the Harrisburg PA area and some of his guns are very well made. The rifles I've seen made by him were all stamped J. Ford on the barrel.  I've never heard of the Ford Brothers.

Frank

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:14:03 AM »
I have a rifle made by George Ford, who was Peoria, Illinois' first gunsmith (excluding Wm. Holland who was hired by the Indian agent , when Peoria was still Fort Clark, in 1819). George Ford was born in Pennsylvania, in about 1805. He arrived in Peoria in 1834, and continued in business until 1861. George Ford is believed to be the son of John Ford, the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, gunsmith previously mentioned, and the grandson of Peter Ford, a gunsmith & silversmith during the Revolution. I have seen two other George Ford rifles, in addition to the one I have. Al three are well-made, with a "Plains rifle" look about them. The barrels are stamped with a one-piece "G. FORD" stamp.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:43:57 PM »
Well, had a look at this rifle and found it to be a plains type halfstock with a Ford Brothers stamped back action lock. No bells or whistles here, but hey if you don't look you don't sometimes find. It seems strange to me to talk to an owner who really didn't have a clue as to what he had.
Joel Hall