Author Topic: Patchbox wire inlay.  (Read 30497 times)

LehighBrad

Patchbox wire inlay.
« on: April 24, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
Well guys...my sliding wood patchbox lid installation was a SUCCESS!! Everything fits snugly and the release latch snaps shut with authority. Thanks for all the advice on how it's done. I went with a one piece lid...seemed to be easier for me. Now for my next question. I'm considering doing some brass wire inlay for a decorative finial at the front of the patchbox lid as well as possibly along the sides of the lid (I was going to use a solid brass patchbox finial, but hate to hide more of the beautiful curl than nessessary) So...how thick of a gage of wire/ribbon would be good for this type of accent?? Should I bevel the edge of the "wire" going into the wood? I did a little bit of very thin German silver wire inlay on the wrist of my last build...but had one heck of a time tapping it into the wood...folding over, twisting, etc. Oh, and if anyone can tell me how to post a picture on here I'd be greatful. Thanks
      Brad

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
Re: Patchbox wire inlay.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
How to post pictures is the top sticky under the tutorial section.
BillP

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
Brad:  Throughout the last year I wrote a 5 part tutorial, on doing silver wire inlay,for the "Gunmaker" magazine published by the "American Custom Gunmakers Guild".  If you wish I could send you copy's of those article's.  Just send me your e-mail address and I would be happy to send them on to you.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline JDK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
Mr Toenjes,  I would very much like a copy of that tutorial is the offer is good to all.  Thanks in advance, J.D. Kerstetter email: justus5ks@dejazzd.com
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »
JDK:   Yes - I will send them to you as well - thanks for asking.   H. T.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:52:05 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

LehighBrad

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
Great! I would very much like a copy of your wire inlay tutorial!! My e-mail address is......dyna883@comcast.net   Thank you for such generosity Hugh!!

welafong1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »
i to would like a copy
thank you
  Richard Westerfield
 welafong1@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:11:49 PM by Richard Westerfield »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
HT,
You have a PM.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
ATTENTION:  To all of you who have requested the 5 part tutorial on Silver Wire Inlay.  Please be patient as I am having problems sending these large files via e-mail.   I am not a computer whizz - as I am still living in the 18th - 19th centurys and making flintlocks to prove it!!??  Anyway I will get the tutorials to you one way or another!
Thanks for being patient,   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
Hugh,
If you save the file as a .zip and send it that way it'll send a lot faster.
John
John Robbins

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
John:  Thanks- but I tried that and it still would not work - infact my computer went crazy, like it had a virus!  Just got it back from the computer shop and 79$ later I have developed a "link" to my tutorial files which I will send to all who have asked for them.  I hope this will work!?   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 11:25:27 PM »
Well since you have it linked, can you send me the link as well?

jtrrobbins@msn.com

Thanks, John
John Robbins

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
Hugh,
The windows Live location works great. I will call you on the way home
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Gunn

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:46 AM »
Blacksmoke:  May I have a copy as well?  tgunn@qwestoffice.com

Gunn

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
Sorry it is tgunn@qwestoffice.net

MarkEngraver

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »
Hugh,

Would it be possible to post it on the ALR forum as a tutorial so all could see it and save you the hassle of emailing everyone ? I'd sure like to see it also.

Mark

rmatt

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Hugh,
May I have a copy as well? rmatt78099@att.net
Thanks
Bob

GreenHorn

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
I am just at that stage in my build, Hugh and as you now have the tutorial as a link, I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. Many thanks. Cheers George

GreenHorn

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
Oops forgot the address: georgehoskins@eastlink.ca

Offline b bogart

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:13 AM »
Thank you Hugh! I hope the others enjoyed and learned as I did. Greatly appreciated!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
David Price did a step by step tutorial with excellent step by step pictures and documentation here.  However, I think it was posted as a thread rather than in the tutorial forum.  He also did one on carving.  It may be one his website somewhere too.  He seems to have disappeared off the board.  Maybe someone can dredge that information up and post it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
The response to offer to supply a link to my 5 part silver wire which was published in "Gunmaker" magazine has been overwhelming - so much so that I am providing that link here on the ALR for any who want to use it.   Thanks to everyone who asked!     Hugh Toenjes       P.S.   The 5th. and final part has not been published yet so it is in rough format, but the photos are good.

http://mediafire.com/?pbdpd3p5dq1hp
H.T.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »
Thanks Hugh,

The articles have been a great help.
The rifle I am working on right now is a rifle of "firsts".  I have made various parts for other rifles I have put together for people, a patch box here, pipes there, etc.  But this is the first time I have fabricated all the furniture and put it into one rifle. This will be the first time I've messed with ribbon inlay in wood.
I did a little practice inlaying today and all went well, easy really ! ,so it's on to the gun now. 

Thanks again,
Mark

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »

If done properly there is absolutely no need to use glue on wire inlay or solder for that matter.

Chris Laubach

Offline Blacksmoke

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 08:43:46 PM »
Chris:

If done properly there is absolutely no need to use glue on wire inlay or solder for that matter.

Chris Laubach

In response to your post, you needed to add the qualifying ending to your statement:  "These steps to doing silver wire inlay are not necessary for Chris Laubach."!

Also, I might remind you that there are a number of facets to gunmaking that are unnecessary such as, using sandpaper, using modern epoxies, using electricity for good lighting, employing modern chemical composits for wood finish and metal finish and on and on.  However, the decision to employ any or all of these techniques and materials rests solely with the individual artisan.  His choice will be based on such constraints as time, authenticity, peer pressure and his knowledge of the realm of historical gun making.  Any or all of the preceding criteria will be factors in his decision.  I am somewhat familiar with the "Laubach" tradition of gunmaking and remain in admiration, but the way I do things is not, and will not, be the same as you do certain things.  My gunmaking techniques will only be judged by "Father time"
and not by you or anyother contemporary maker - not even the good people at Dixons.   
That's how I  see things,   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.