Author Topic: TOW's British Proof mark stamps  (Read 7277 times)

Offline Telgan

TOW's British Proof mark stamps
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
Although I am aware of the controversy regarding the use of these stamps , Has anyone had a look at the ones TOW is selling? What is the quality like - accuracy of design, size, etc.. Thanks in advance for any comments. Tom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: TOW's British Proof mark stamps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:38:48 AM »
Get ready to go to prison Tom. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:44:34 AM »
They must be good, then.

How much are they?

;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Telgan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:27:53 AM »
I'm well on my way anyway. This will just push it along a little faster. You light the way there for all of us Mike. Tom

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:53:45 AM »
I suppose the controversy is from someone attempting to fake an old gun ? Seems like cast parts in a lock instead of hand filed and fit parts would be a dead give away.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:31 AM »
I suppose the controversy is from someone attempting to fake an old gun ? Seems like cast parts in a lock instead of hand filed and fit parts would be a dead give away.

You obviously have a lot to learn on the subject of faking.
What makes you think they start with new parts??? Or cannot file parts to look "right"?
Besides better grade guns often had NO file marks at all on locks etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Forrest

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:12:46 AM »
To get things back on topic...Yes, I have had the opportunity to try one of Track's stamps.  They work very well, and seem to be made out of durable tool steel.  One thing I would suggest is to wrap the stamp with a little bit of masking tape, or something like that.  The stamp itself is made out of a highly polished piece of tool rod, and you might find it a bit slippery when in use.  The tape adds some grip so your fingers won't get fatigued as quickly.  All stamps take some practice to use correctly so I strongly suggest practicing on the bottom of the barrel a few times until you get the knack for it.   And most importantly of all, do not try to make the full impression in one heavy strike.  You will find that multiple, lighter strikes are more effective and easier to control. 

Good luck
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:15:22 AM by Forrest »

Michael

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »
I bought a set for a 1730 Kings pattern musket I am finishing up. The storekeepers stock stamp is great but the barrel proof marks are to my eye too big. Not so much the crown and broadarrow mark but the crown and crossed scepters stamp is half again larger than the other mark. Unfortunately these proof marks are for muskets of a later period than what I need so I am having the correct set being made by the Henry A Evers Co. and I hope to have them in a couple of weeks.

It looks as if I am going to be in good company as I languish in prison, at least we'll have something in common to talk about!!!!

Michael

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Interesting thing here..... I visited with a restorator friend a couple days ago and he said that some of the other museum guys he recently talked to in England and Germany are fairly upset over these stamps. I wonder what they could do about it anyway?!
Susie

Offline Ezra

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
Philistines... ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
Hah! Thats funny!
Susie

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »
Why not use stamps that are close but not exact replicas? They would pass a casual look but not a close inspection. Would allow the barrels to look good but without being counterfeit. Same reason most builders don't sign barrels with fake names (i.e. Dickert) but rather their own.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
Exactly. I wish that had been their intent.
I will tell you this; according to my buds in restoration, they have historical ways of knowing when a fake is in front of them. The problem is that most folks don't know the difference and their concern is that we have lots of people out there getting took.
Susie

Forrest

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »
So if we build a gun with Rifle Shoppe, E.J. Blackley, or Peter Dyson castings which have all the original engraved markings and names one them, should we be accused of fakery as well?   If someone thinks a gun is original just because it has stamps on it (and not looking for a hundred other tell tale signs of fakery), they shouldn't be in the antique gun buying business to start with. 

Now if we want to argue the point that there is a conflict with using stamps because they mean something, such as the barrel has been proofed, then I think that is a legitimate discussion, IMHO. 

TGIF everyone! 

titanicslim

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
The guys at the museums, auction houses and other dealers are in the business of telling real from fake, old from new-  and you can usually tell from their attitudes that they set great store in their knowledge and judgment.  They are thus employed because the average Joseph can't tell for himself.  I happen to think that if you make it too easy to date your gun,  you're taking the bread out of the experts' babies' mouths.   How can you be so heartless? :'(