Author Topic: Beginning with horns-what next?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline James

Beginning with horns-what next?
« on: April 29, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »
Hello, I have these horns from bull that was killed Wed., what is the next step. I have the info on making the horn but not what to do up to that point. They measure 9 1/2" inside curve, 13" outside curve, 10" circumference at base.  Thank you, James

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Beginning with horns-what next?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
 Cut them off boil out the core and go from there. Can't tell much about the curve and twist but they look pretty straight. Since they are a pair I would work them into a double horn if they have the curve.

Tim C.

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
Want to make one for each of my 2 oldest boys. They have decent curve to the front, not much twist.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »
picture showing curve

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »
 Looks like a great set for a double. If you are interested, I will swap you two horns for the pair.

Tim C.

BrownBear

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
After cleaning the cores out, I'd use a knife blade and give them a good scraping (base to tip works best for me) before I did anything else.  That will give you a clear view of color, along with spotting dents that will have to be done away with.  (They can result in eventual delam if you don't work deep enough into the horn to get past them.)  They look pretty clean as-is, but a good scraping first makes them so perty, I bet you're motor will rev to redline to get them finished.   ;D

Next step I'd use a piece of coat hanger wire to figure out how far the hollow extends, then mark the outside accordingly so you don't get carried away and cut them too short once you start working.  After that, there's plenty written on technique.

Offline James

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »
Tim, as these are from one of ours I want the connection to this place that the boys will always have from these horns. I know, they are just horns  :)  My 12 year old looks at them and says "I could hunt 3 months with the powder that thing will hold"  :D  I haven't seen a double-horn, where would be a good spot to see a photo?
One more question, is there any curing time before work can begin?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
Tim, as these are from one of ours I want the connection to this place that the boys will always have from these horns. I know, they are just horns  :)  My 12 year old looks at them and says "I could hunt 3 months with the powder that thing will hold"  :D  I haven't seen a double-horn, where would be a good spot to see a photo?
One more question, is there any curing time before work can begin?

I understand, a very good idea. There are not a lot of pics around, Grant's Powder Horns and Their Architecture has one or two in it if I remember correctly and I there is one in The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Kauffman.
 Once the core is out I would let them dry for a few weeks. If you need any help on them let me know.
 Here is one I did a year or so ago. It is based on one in Grant's book.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:12:14 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
I like that horn. Who would have used such a horn?