Author Topic: Curious re:Chambers *Smoothrifle* Kit  (Read 5063 times)

Leatherbelly

Curious re:Chambers *Smoothrifle* Kit
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
  Hey Gents/Builders,
   Have any of you gents built this kit? Gosh, in the pix that Jim has posted on his site, it sure looks like a slim long barreled beauty.If anyone has built this kit, can you show me with a picture what your results are? or your thoughts? I would make it a rifled .54. Curious as to your experience with this "kit." Thanks in advance. Best regards,Roy
ps, *smoothrifle* seems an oxymoron, so I'm thinking,-RIFLE IT!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Curious re:Chambers *Smoothrifle* Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
Hey Canvas,

I have not built one of these, but the last time I checked Mike Brooks had one on his website that he did.  I will say this, I had a smooth rifle for years and loved it.  You have the versatility of a smoothbore but the configurations of a rifle.  Which helps with recoil and aim.  So rifling it would be cool, but if you like a smoothbore, you'll love a smooth rifle.

Coryjoe

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
Here'sone  I did a couple years ago. I put a rifle styled trigger guard on it.... I think it was rifled too.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/kitgun3.html
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »
Hey Mike!
  Thanks for the reply. Sweet looking rifle. I like the "Newcomer" engraving style you incorporated on the butt and sideplate. Will be saving my sheckles for this "kit."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:33:12 PM by CanvasBack »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:59:50 PM »
Hi Canvas,

I am a rank amateur in this craft but managed to put together a fowler that  pleases me and shoots very well.  Mine is a 20 gauge smooth bore and as a result is very light.  Considering it has no choke, the patterns are reasonable.  It may just be me,  but the combination of drop and cast-off makes the gun come to the shoulder in a very natural manner.

As you can see I did not carve this piece, primarily because I always chicken out when the Time comes to lay knife to wood.  This gun has the prettiest shape of any I have ever made, and the credit for that goes solely to Jim and Barbie for the quality of the kit.  Yes, the fore end is a little heavy, and I did that intentionally.  I feel the extra wood makes it a little stronger, as this is the one I grab for woods walks.  Like I said, it is light. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:28:59 AM by Tim Crosby »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
Thanks for the pix. Is that the Pa fowler or smooth rifle?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
The kit was originally for a smooth rifle.  After handling and inspecting a couple of fowlers made by mike Brooks, I filed the cheekpiece and flat for the sliding patch box lid off.  Mine already had the smooth bore.  I think if it had a rifled barrel, I would use a rifle guard and leave the other rifle bits.  This kit is the basis for a great piece, whatever you do.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.