Author Topic: Homemade "Moose Milk"  (Read 26632 times)

Daryl

Re: Homemade "Moose Milk"
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 05:22:31 AM »
That is the "moose milk" that used to be used as patch lube, Don - from what I remember as well.

That is why the fellow who developed beeswax/murphy's and something else I can't remember and called his concotion "moose snot".  "Moose milk" was already taken - many years before & was water soluble oil and water, nothing more.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:37 AM »
Roamer - the key sentence re you post in Daryl's post is "A patch MUST be wet to shoot consistently, shot after shot, no wiping." In the years I havve read the postings on this forum I don't think any topic has gotten as much action on this forum as lubes. IMHO Daryl's post is the most complete yet succinct posts on the the topic I have had the privilege to read.

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
why tks Scott - brief and clear - had to look that up - wasn't sure? HA!  Yes

northmn

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 08:19:59 PM »
In the dark ages ('70s) there were a number of folks around here that used Crisco. Anyone still doing that?

When I shot in the dark ages I used Crisco and could get by with about one 5 shot relay.  I would prelube the patches with it.  Today I use Crisco but mainly for a hunting load in which I do not have to worry about wiping between shots. At this time I am using up my tube of Bore butter.  Neither are good range lubes, but Crisco works pretty good in my shot for tapping lube.  Someone a while back posted results of an accuracy test in one of the magazines concerning lubes and just plain water worked about as good as any.  Spit contains some mucus which helps slicken the patches.  Water still showed about the same accuracy as the purchased lubes. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 04:05:57 AM »
For target shooting with today's "little" loads that most people want to use, spit will give the best accuracy - in literally, every rifle barrel or gun I've ever shot and thats a bunch. 

Once you start slicking things up with slippery substances like oils, greases, etc, you need more powder or the gun starts throwing shots. Believe me on this.  Slicker lubes require more powder, just as slicker bores need more powder.  Of the slick lubes, I've found nothing to beat LehighValley Lube - but - it took 15gr. more powder than the accuracy load with spit, to do it.  My test guns were a .45/42"bl. and a .40 cal. w/36" bl.

Of course, I am referring to loads that do not require any wiping - ever, while shooting.

There is a simple formula for that - works in every rifle (I've ever worked with) - ball, .010" (with .010" -.012" rifling) or peferrably .005" (with both shallow square or deeper .016" rounded rifling) under bore size, with a 10oz to 12oz Denim patch - measuring .020" to .0225" - or ticking .0215" to .0225"- all hard SQUEEZED Caliper measured.

Almost everyone at our range shoots similar loads - virtually identical, actually, except for 2(3 counting me in one gun) . One guys patches run around .015" and things get sitcky loading after about 30 or 40 shots - he has trouble - light loads, too. The other, Len, is using .028" to .030"(HEAVY ticking) with a .535" ball in a square bottomed Getz barrel - loads with short starter and tapered rifle's rod - 3/8" at the small end, that goes down the bore first. He has no difficulty loading  -  all day.  I guess I fit there as well as the third, with my .69 - .030" patch, with ball .006" smaller than the bore(.684") in .012" rifling - yeah- .015" compression each side, in the bottom of each groove. It also will shoot into 1"" to 1.5" at 100 meters off bags - with open iron sights - single front bag under my left hand. Snug loading is good, but tight really starts to shoot.

xring2245

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 04:41:09 AM »
I've been using one part Simple Green, one part water, and two parts windshield wiper fluid with the winter additive recently and it has been giving me the results I want.  No wiping between shots and an easy clean-up afterwards.  The Simple Green was pirchased as a 32 oz. spray bottle and the washer fluid in a one gallon jug.  I think it will last awhile.  I will have to buy another Simple Green in order to use all the washer fluid.  The price was right...

James

blunderbuss

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:59 AM »
patches in a patch box :o I thought those things were for your candy bar ;D
I use the butt trap in my Jaeger to keep my lip balm in works pretty good as a patch lube too when you forget your lube (Not that I ever have)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
This is getting wayyyyy to complex for my simple mind. I think I'll stick to spit, always have some (unless I'm really thirsty) and it can't get much cheaper. ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »
'Jenna' always said use spit.  Being the expert she is I'll stick to her suggestion ::) :D

Devil made me say that ;D