Author Topic: 45 cal Douglas barrel  (Read 7418 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
45 cal Douglas barrel
« on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
Can anybody experienced with shooting Douglas barrels tell me about the
accuracy of them.  It's a 1960's 45 cal, 44 inch barrel in very good condition.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Skychief

Re: 45 cal Douglas barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
Terrible.   How about selling it to me? ;D

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
I had a .45 Douglas barrel 30+ years ago.  Very accurate. 

All of my Douglas roundball, ceterfire fire and .22 barrels are great shooters.

TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

roundball

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
Zero personal knowledge about Douglas barrels.....have 'heard' nothing but good things about the brand name but don't know if that was the case a half century ago...or just 25 years ago, etc...

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
They normally shot well. But when you breech the barrel you need to put the thin side on the bottom. The bores on these barrels usually had some run out at the breech. No biggie it will allow you to have a lower front sight. Either that or you will face windage issues with your sights being noticably right or left of center.
BJH

realtorone

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »
I've shot a Douglas barrel since 1972 on a Don King Vincent and it shots as good as I can hold it.From a rest it is wonderful

fdf

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:13 AM »
"Zero personal knowledge about Douglas barrels.....have 'heard' nothing but good things about the brand name but don't know if that was the case a half century ago...or just 25 years ago, etc... "

And?

fdf

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I just bought a 60s KY rifle with a Douglas barrel and
I'm planning to hunt deer with it.  Being new to shooting muzzleloaders, I wanted
to know if this was a fairly accurate barrel.  Guess I won't know for sure until
I load it up and test it out.  Fortunately, the seller told me what ball, patch
and load to use based on his having hunted with it for years, that should
help alot.  Wish me luck.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:05:08 AM »
I built my first flintlock in 1970 using a 7/8"  45 cal. Douglas barrel, shot great, won a lot of stuff with it.  Good shooter...................Don

Offline whitebear

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »
In the day they were the barrel that everyone wanted.  Sort of the Green Mountain of that time.  They were maid in 32 to I think (always dangerous for me)  54 or maybe 58.  I have a 13/16 .36 that I am just about finished restocking that I bought in '75 shot a LOT of matches with her and brought home lots of squirrels, I am anticipating doing it again with her if the targets will hold still and the squirrels will come closer.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I just bought a 60s KY rifle with a Douglas barrel and
I'm planning to hunt deer with it.  Being new to shooting muzzleloaders, I wanted
to know if this was a fairly accurate barrel.  Guess I won't know for sure until
I load it up and test it out.  Fortunately, the seller told me what ball, patch
and load to use based on his having hunted with it for years, that should
help alot.  Wish me luck.

It will likely shoot best with about 60 grains of powder.
The standard Douglas was 8 grooves and a 66 twist for all calibers.
The did make "Hawken" barrels with a 48 twist and they made 7 groove barrels for Golden Age Arms in 48 twist.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:16:14 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
I had one where the runnout was such that even with the Douglas name positioned on the bottom it tended to shoot a little to one side at 25 yards and to the other at 100 yards.  The XX Douglas were the one of favored rifles in their day for top built rifles.  About the only difference between the XX and the regular was the runnout was minimal on the XX.  They were a 1-66 twist rate and often seemed to like a little thicker patch ball combo than other brands.  Definitely a 445 ball minimum. Rifling depth was around 010. 

DP

Ron Brimer

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:29 AM »
Great shooters, just watch your run out. When I  started shooting in the 60s it was the most used,XX being the best. You could go to a few custom makers but for the average shooter it was the best . They got some bad PR, when people overloaded them .  Lots of matches were won with one.
Ron B