Author Topic: drum/solder  (Read 2955 times)

Offline b bogart

drum/solder
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
Recently there was a thread with a statement that some solder the drom into the barrel on a caplock?? What do some of you feel about this? Pros, Cons whatever. I have a good tight fit with it but a little extra security never hurts, unless there are drawbacks!
Thanks
Bruce

keweenaw

Re: drum/solder
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »
Soldering the drum in is a generally terrible idea.  The solder would add virtually no strength to prevent it blowing out , would be very difficulty to get into the thread space, would trap corrosive flux and would probably end of with a glob of solder where you don't want it.  If you're concerned about it moving use a bit of loc-tite on the threads. 

Tom

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:32:47 AM »
Soldering the drum in is a generally terrible idea.  The solder would add virtually no strength to prevent it blowing out , would be very difficulty to get into the thread space, would trap corrosive flux and would probably end of with a glob of solder where you don't want it.  If you're concerned about it moving use a bit of loc-tite on the threads. 

Tom
Don't do it!!  I don't recall seeing that mentioned on this site.  It would have been 'shot down' quickly!  You want that drum to shoulder up against the side flat of the barrel and be supported by the lock plate.  And don't use a 1/4 incher!  I have a collection of rejected drums that went too far around!! Keep trying different drums til one tightens up the way it should.. I suppose a longer thread could be cut on the rejects.  I didn't even try- read 'lazy! :)

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies and I didn't think it was a good idea.
Bruce