Author Topic: J. Hoak Rifle  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
J. Hoak Rifle
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Reposting for discussion of the work.   Name removed!
J. Hoak Rev War Lancaster Rifle- 1969 Wallace Gusler shop Rifle. The Left Handed rifle was  stocked by an Apprentice to Wallace Gusler in 1992. The GUNSMITH of GRENVILLE COUNTY- PETER ALEXANDER in preperation of the Book he volunteered at the Williamsburg Shop to study different techniques for 5 summers. The rifle featured was used as a carving study- Wallace Gusler layed the carving design out behind the cheekpiece and Peter Alexander carved it.  There is a cartouche on the left of the Barrel with PA in it. The Stock is Black Walnut just as the original. The finish is a finish learned from John Bivins in 1982 that he used for restoration of early rifles. The hardware is ealry John Bivins castings. The two Rifles show the Williamsburg Shop influence of Wallace Gusler. The Original J. Hoak rifle is in Kindigs Book.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: J. Hoak Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
Well, I like the Gusler rifle a lot.  I believe we saw pictures of it previously.  I like the overall strength of the carving on the Hoak inspired rifle.   This rifle has some good aspects, but has some issues as well.  Not sure if any critique is really appropriate or desired.  So there you have it, a comment and my opinion :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Very nice critique, far nicer than I could have composed..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »
Nice rifles.    Typical Bivins carving, but has one his "dastardly" butt plates on it.    John did so many great things but his
buttplate leaves a lot to be desired.   I have come to hate the darn things, even tho we used a smaller version of it when
we designed the first Isaac Haines kit.   At the time, it was the only thing out there in an investment cast form that went
with the Haines rifle.........Don

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
Don,

I'm thinking that John Bivins would take offense to your comment on the carving if he were alive.  As I mentioned before, this work has some good points, but is lacking in some ways as well.  The carving in no way compares to the typical Bivins carving in my view.  Surely you didn't mean it quite like this?

Jim

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Jim.....yes, I guess I took a hurried look at it, not up to what he did later, or what you are now doing..........Don