Author Topic: militaryheritage guns  (Read 14212 times)

camerl2009

militaryheritage guns
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:30:31 AM »
so whats the quality of the guns from militaryheritage.com  im looking into buying some differnt guns and wanted a flintlock pistol from there

i emailed them and thay say there from asia so im guessing india

has anyone got one of there guns the flash hole is not drilled yet i want a .62 pistol the kind that would have been use in the battle for detroit in 1812 or so

Offline bob in the woods

Re: militaryheritage guns
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
I had one a few years ago , and had to rework the lock, and the springs , and then I gave it away to a friend who wouldn't really shoot it. Just carry it, etc.  If you drill the vent, you'll have to register it. For the price, you can get a really good lock, good barrel, and mounts. Ask yourself what you want it for, ie, what you're going to do with it,  and then decide.

camerl2009

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:17:30 AM »
I had one a few years ago , and had to rework the lock, and the springs , and then I gave it away to a friend who wouldn't really shoot it. Just carry it, etc.  If you drill the vent, you'll have to register it. For the price, you can get a really good lock, good barrel, and mounts. Ask yourself what you want it for, ie, what you're going to do with it,  and then decide.

yes i know but i cant find a barrel that looks like the british made pistols of the late 1700's and early 1800's

it seems no one makes them

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »
Woods, where do live that you have to register a muzzleloading replica pistol? 

camerl2009

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:18 AM »
Woods, where do live that you have to register a muzzleloading replica pistol?  

canada any muzzleloading pistol made affter 1898 has to be registered
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:44:56 AM by camerl2009 »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »
Muzzleloader Building Supplies has various profile pistol barrels. And stocks,hardware etc. British, French, and other styles.

camerl2009

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:33:08 AM »
Muzzleloader Building Supplies has various profile pistol barrels. And stocks,hardware etc. British, French, and other styles.

holy price its about $600 for the kit and barrel

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »
Barrel is $95.00 including breach plug . Not bad for authenticity. If you just want a pistol, you could build one for less money. I find that too often some people think that a pistol is something that they can knock off quickly etc and view them as less work than a rifle. Not necessarily !  The Indian pistols are about $300 to $400. and you'll never get that at resale. A well done MBS pistol would be worth much more than the value of the parts.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
I bought one of the Indian made guns a bunch of years ago -  looked OK in the photos.  I returned it for refund and will not even consider buying another - at any price. Middlesex in the States sells the same guns. (Say no more, say no more.)

camerl2009

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
I bought one of the Indian made guns a bunch of years ago -  looked OK in the photos.  I returned it for refund and will not even consider buying another - at any price. Middlesex in the States sells the same guns. (Say no more, say no more.)

(edited out)

these ones look alot better made http://www.militaryheritage.com/pistol6.htm this one is what im looking at this is the ones that where used here in 1812
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:08:23 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:31:35 PM »
OK, given this more thought, I think you should buy one.

Offline TPH

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »
Ah, "The Discriminating General"...... They have a very bad reputation, worse than most of the others. Everyone knows that repair parts for the Indian-made "imitation guns" are not easy to come by, but at least some of the sellers try to work with their customers when replacement parts/repairs are needed. "The Discriminating General" is known as the worst when it it comes to customer satisfaction on the firearms purchased from them.

Something else to remember is that all of the Indian "guns" come from a handful of makers, no matter who the seller is. Some makers are better than the others (relatively speaking) but this company seems to be able to make a lot of buyers upset.

(My use of the title "imitation guns" in the statement above comes from the firearms laws of India and is explained by both the fact that the guns are not required to pass proof there and also their lower cost.)
T.P. Hern

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »
A person can get a reasonably good quality muzzleloading rifle right here in the US and Canada, for around the $500.00 mark and have something that is much better made than theirs. 

The Indian guns are priced around $750.00 to $850.00 last time I was in a site that sells them - a number of years ago, now.  What I found particularly striking, was the screws that holds parts together are wierd sizes and didn't fit well- sloppy as can be- as-was the breech plug. :o 

camerl2009

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
A person can get a reasonably good quality muzzleloading rifle right here in the US and Canada, for around the $500.00 mark and have something that is much better made than theirs. 

The Indian guns are priced around $750.00 to $850.00 last time I was in a site that sells them - a number of years ago, now.  What I found particularly striking, was the screws that holds parts together are wierd sizes and didn't fit well- sloppy as can be- as-was the breech plug. :o 

if you seen my link the one im affter i cant get parts for its $350 there

i cant find any made here it seems  :-[

Offline rudyc

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »
Buy two of them and you can get started on that double you've been talking about.

rudyc
"It's a good day for something"

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
I think you are wondering where the handguns are made?  They are all made in India, Camerl, India.  Rudy had a point.

camerl2009

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »
I think you are wondering where the handguns are made?  They are all made in India, Camerl, India.  Rudy had a point.

i know there made in india i just want to know if there better made then the rest

greybeard

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
Cam; This little gem cost me a total of $125.00 for the L&R lock. everything else is shop made including the barrel & breech plug..you can do it too.Cheers   Bob

camerl2009

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »
Cam; This little gem cost me a total of $125.00 for the L&R lock. everything else is shop made including the barrel & breech plug..you can do it too.Cheers   Bob

not with the tools i have

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »
If you are in a hurry to have one, buy it.  But one can build one with a minimum of tools.  I built a brass barreled pistol with hand tools only. Used a brace when reaming the barrel so as not  to ruin it by going to fast. The rest was sawn from sheet brass, [fittings] iron [ trigger and breach plug ] and lots of filing. Lock was from a Small Siler kit. These kind of projects are a lot of fun, but not economically viable due to the time involved.  One reason why I don't gripe about the cost of parts, particularly locks. A Chamber's lock is cheap forwhat you're getting.
My usual advice for most guys who dream of building a gun from scratch...buy a Siler lock kit. Put it together and get back to me when you have it working. That usually cures most of them.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »
The only Military Heritage gun I had in my hands was quite literally, at best rating, exceptionally poor quality and workmanship.

greybeard

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
Cam.   If you can't build that wee pistol with the tools that you have, how do you expect to build a double barrel 12 bore flint fowling piece ??
Bob

camerl2009

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
Cam.   If you can't build that wee pistol with the tools that you have, how do you expect to build a double barrel 12 bore flint fowling piece ??
Bob

i dont have a lathe or mill  so its kind of hard to make things my self the 12ga is a little easyer becuse i have ready made parts barrels,locks and the like this i dont have any ready made parts as no one makes them for that pistol and the parts that are ready made are out of price range

the only power tools i have is a drill press,and a few hand drills and a jig saw,some files,and the rest of the hand tools i would need to finsh off the double

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 11:43:07 PM »
Camerl2009, most of us don't have or better yet don't use mills. or lathes.  We use all hand tools, with maybe the exception of a drill press, or hand drill.  Speed or easy is not our quest.  If you want one of those pieces of dog @#$%/!!, go for it, but I can assure you , that in the long run you will be unhappy spending money on it when you could have done much better.  Things you will probably encounter, are no spark, weak main spring,  wrong wood, poor workmanship, and the list goes on.  That internet catalog pic is of a pistol that has been reworked, what you see is not necessarily what you will get.  As They say Caveat Emptor, Let the buyer beware.  None of the members here have any interests in these companies, some speak from unfortunate experience, but all want you to have a good out come.  Good luck.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

camerl2009

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 12:33:40 AM »
yes well i dont like to take a year just to make a gun that can be made in a week or two

i cant stay on one project for too long i seem to go off  and start somthing differnt

metal and wodd working come easy to me i can knock out a most wood projects in a day with some only lasting a few hours

a stock i can finsh off in a day or to with the tools i have ( a horse rasp makes easy work on shaping ;) ) and well a few days for stain and the like i can make the stuff dry any faster  ::)

but when it will take me a few hours to make one part im not likeing it and i start to go off track  :-[