Author Topic: militaryheritage guns  (Read 14211 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: militaryheritage guns
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »
I don't really know what else to do other than wish you all the best in your endeavors . I will say that speed is at the bottom of the list re anything I make. I've said it so many times, but once again- #1 question regarding my guitar making....".how long  does it take to make one?"  One of the reasons I don't have an apprentice :(

camerl2009

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
well turn out time needs to be good when you build and sell flinters  :P

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
Good luck with those sales, Cam.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 07:21:25 PM »
The indian made stuff is movie prop/wall hanger quality.
I do not consider them suitable for actual use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

doug

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:38 PM »
      The photos  below were posted on another site 2 or 3 years ago and were claimed to be of an Indian made gun whose barrel split lengthwise.  The only gun that I have worked on, a friend asked me to install a touch hole liner and prior to doing so, I pulled the breach plug.  I don't recall the details but do recall that I did not like how it was fitted and made a new breach plug for the gun before installing a liner.  Personally I would not want one of the Indian made guns regardless of which shop sold it.

cheers Doug

camerl2009

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »
      The photos  below were posted on another site 2 or 3 years ago and were claimed to be of an Indian made gun whose barrel split lengthwise.  The only gun that I have worked on, a friend asked me to install a touch hole liner and prior to doing so, I pulled the breach plug.  I don't recall the details but do recall that I did not like how it was fitted and made a new breach plug for the gun before installing a liner.  Personally I would not want one of the Indian made guns regardless of which shop sold it.

cheers Doug

ive seen them pic's before that is a gun that was never made to be fired and thats why it blew up it was made for decoration ant thats it. many people say dom and seemless tubing is not good enough for barrels fact is it is as long as the walls are thick enough and you get the right type of tubing im not talking galvanized fence post where you can clearly see the weld

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
TKs for posting those pictures, Doug.  This is the gun that 'Middlesex' in the States and Heritage in Ontario sells. The breech, with the 'plate' ahead of the tang is identical and found only on these 'Indian' guns as best I know. The one I had for a brief period of time, had only 4 threads bearing (engaging) inside the barrel's breech end, one held by .002", one by .015" and one at .022" and one at .028". The rest were smaller than the threads of the barrel.  The plate's pressure against the rear face of the barrel is what kept the powder gasses from blowing out around that joint.  Due to the thickness of the plate, and the gouge around the plug immediately in fornt of the plat, 3 and possibly 4 threads were missing.

I was shocked and returned it - which they refunded - thankfully. I also took a whack of pictures of the barrel, plug, etc, but have not uploaded them to photobucket - yet. I'd rather not.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 11:40:16 PM »
I have said many times that the breaching method worried me more than the tubing barrel. Sealing at the rear of the plug means that the threads, whatever there are of them, are fully exposed . That rear plate was the only  actual sealing component.  When I saw it, I could never pull the trigger on that gun again.

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »

I was shocked and returned it -

Spot-on, Bob - spooked the beejeebers out of me & I've shot some pretty 'weird' stuff.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 02:55:24 AM »
Don't be misled by the pictures these guns are probably hand picked and spiffed up to look great before the photos are shot.  I would almost guarantee you that when you buy one the gun you get will be a long way from the picture.  Even Thompson Center used to put great looking wood in there rifles and the patriot pistol but the pictures you saw in there adds had a much better stock than what you bought.

I don't intend to hurt your feelings with this, but I would rather hurt your feelings than read your obituary.  That said you seem $#*! bent on getting one of these pieces of junk.  If you do, do yourself a favor and DO NOT ever drill a vent hole in the barrel.  If you can turn out any kind of muzzleloader in one day I for one don't want to be anywhere even close when it is shot.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:08:11 AM by whitebear »
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
ive seen them pic's before that is a gun that was never made to be fired and thats why it blew up it was made for decoration ant thats it. many people say dom and seemless tubing is not good enough for barrels fact is it is as long as the walls are thick enough and you get the right type of tubing im not talking galvanized fence post where you can clearly see the weld

I don't know whitebear - here he is saying the Indian guns with the tubing are not meant to be fired. I'm not sure what's happening now.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:31 AM »
A lot of these things are sold to re-enacters who are not necessarily "gun guys" but just need something to make a blank go bang. They are probably ok for that, but I have yet to see one that I would be comfortable shooting with a ball. I've kept all my fingers and both eyes (as poor as they are) for sixty years, and I don't think I have enough time left to grow new ones.