Author Topic: Deer load for 38" .54  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Deer load for 38" .54
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:47:52 AM »
I have never deer hunted with a muzzleloader and have no experience with proper loads (back when I did a little deer hunting we had to use shotguns with buckshot, guess that's why I never cared much for it).

My 38" Rice barreled flint .54 caliber shoots extremely well with 70 grains of 3 F and I would like to try it on deer this season. Is that load heavy enough or should I up it somewhat? I will be hunting in fairly heavy woods and doubt any shots will exceed 50 to 60 yards.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ironsights1

Re: Deer load for 38" .54
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:18:04 AM »
Dennis...My deer hunting experience with a .54 caliber flintlock includes four rifles, all of which liked between 70 - 80 grains of either 2F or 3F for taking deer from 20 - 80 yards with proper shot placement. While some may feel your load is on the light side, I think your described hunting conditions mirror what I have in Southern Illinois and I've taken many deer with a load similar to what you have described with almost always having a complete pass through. Again, proper shot placement will win out every time over increased fire power. Tom

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:42:38 AM »
Thanks Tom,
That was kind of what I thought. I know that load will go where its aimed and I suspected it might be heavy enough for VA whitetails at fairly close range but I wasn't sure.
Thanks
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

roundball

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:55:05 AM »
IMO, it should  be fine...personally I like a little more 'umph'...and use 90grns Goex 3F in a GM Flint barrel...but its only 33" and with your longer barrel the velocity would probably be about the same anyway...hope you "slew" one !

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
That load will certainly do the job at the ranges you're talking about, and then some.  I used 70 grains of 3f in my 32" 54 cal for seveal years before moving up to 80 grains for a little more accuracy- not from any concern about power.  Considering I'm losing velocity compared to yours along with 6" of barrel, your load probably performs more like my current 80 grains.  I've never killed a deer past 60 yards with it, but penetration on broadside lung shots has always been through and through.

close enough

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 04:38:41 AM »
You are good to go.
Brian

JBlk

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 02:18:16 PM »
I have used that load many times to kill deer in a fifty under the conditions you describe.Shot placement means more than how much powder you have under the projectile.

don getz

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »
Dennis .....I used 90 grains of FF, behind a .530 ball, .018 thick Ox-yoke patch.   Don't ask me why, just looked right when\
I did it.....it also works, killed several with it..............Don

billd

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
Dennis, 
I shoot 85 grs. of FFF in my .54 31" Getz Jeager barrel. Killed many deer as I been hunting with this gun for 20 some years.  Never lost one (not saying I never missed one).  Never recovered a ball either, all pass throughs.  I did shoot one in the center of the chest and the ball broke her hip. I didn't find an exit hole, but never found the ball either.  Probably fell out with the entrails.   Where I hunt is thick, most shots are in the 30 yrd. range, never over 50 but I'd feel comfortable shooting 75 if the shot presented itself. 

Bill

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »
A friend of mine in 100 Mile House BC shot a bull moose through the lungs at 70 yards.  His load was a .50 cal. ball and 70 grains 3Fg GOEX.  The ball was under the hide on the far side.  The moose collapsed right where it stood.

Accuracy and ball placement is far more important than huge energy.  Shooting the animal on the big bones of the shoulder is not going to bring him down with an additional 200 fps.  Stick with your accurate and confident load.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »
Daryl you seem to be afflicted with senior moment on this one.  About 3 weeks back you were concerned my 80gr load in a .54 wasn't adequate for elk and that I should be trying 120gr.  Now a 70gr load under a .50 knocks moose down in place!   Guess I will stick with my 80gr of Swiss FFg after all. 

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
Jerry- you're getting me mixed up with my Bro who shoots light loads in light rifles.   That moose he mentioned was killed by a .50 shooting what I would consider too little powder in my book.  It's just that I would use more and a .54, btw.  I want a minimum of 1,800fps for a flat trajectory.  Less speed will kill a moose or elk, for sure, but it's the trajectory (and accuracy) I'm after.  My Canoe gun gives it's best accuracy with 90gr. 3F. I'd use that load for deer. I would not hunt moose with it as it won't give me 1,800fps, nor is it a .54.  I know it doesn't take that much to kill the animal, but I won't use less. I believe in using what is most accurate and I've yet to see a .50 or .54 with a slow twist give it's BEST accuracy with such small loads. Every one I've tested with my patch combinations, gives better accuracy with more powder.  In .50's it's around 100 to 110gr. and in .54's it's about 120gr. 3F or 2f- your choice. I prefer 2F for it's cleaner burning (in my guns) and lower pressure.

I would shoot a moose (if it was legal) with my .54 flint handgun (using 50gr. 3F), but I would call it into 20 yards (bow range) and plunk him through the 'lights'.  It would work I am absolutely certain.  It would even work using a .50 handgun with 50gr. 3F(or less), let alone a .50 rifle using the same load.  I would not do that myself is all.  I draw the minimum for moose at .54. bigger is better. When I say moose, I mean elk as well.

That .50 did not knock the moose down. No rifle held by a man can knock a moose down, antique or modern.  The moose in question merely did not know he was shot, bled out standing where he was and collapsed. This sometimes happens.  Now, a truck or car can knock a moose down if they're moving fast enough - that I've seen.  I've also seen moose hit the hood, roll up a bit then land on their feet again and run off.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:12:32 PM by Daryl »

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »
Dennis,
I shoot 80 Grs. of 3F & .530 PRB from my 38" Colrain. Never needed more. 70 would probably be fine. Personally I like a little more MV.
I'm not sure how this load will do for big boar hogs but I might find out this year. There is a huge one prowling the peanut fields and heads behind my house and our deer lease is full of them.
FWIW about 20 years ago I shot a Est. 400 pounder that looked like he was wearing a flak jacket. The load was 120 gr. 2F and .530 PRB from a 26" TC barrel. It took him high behind the shoulder and right through his gristle shield. The ball did not penetrate to the opposite side but it sure killed him dead. Not right there for sure but I tracked him down.
American horses of Arabian descent.