Author Topic: Black powder for cartridge loads.  (Read 5367 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Black powder for cartridge loads.
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:20:05 AM »

Someone gave me fifty lbs. of GEOX  black powder, and the cans are marked cartridge.  I tried shooting it and there doesn't seem to be any difference from regular black powder.  If anything it might get the bore a little dirtier.  Does anyone know just what the difference is?

Daryl

Re: Black powder for cartridge loads.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:30:38 AM »
CTG was supposed to be a better or more closely screened 1F granulation - fewer fines.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:44:19 AM »
My "cartridge " powder looks more like in between 2 and 3 F.  Sure not as coarse as 1F.

chapmans

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:49:49 AM »
David,
 I always heard it was between ffg and fffg also. Have you compared it with either 2 or 3f?
  I have a pound around here somewhere I'll have to dig it out and compare. I would not have a problem using it!!!
   Steve C.

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:07:24 AM »
It is a cleaned up 3f, that has more of the fines removed so it is closer to 2 1/2 f. It may have more graphite in it !

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 03:28:05 AM »

I would say that it is between ff and fff.  It has a definite shine to it also. I shoot it in my flintlock and the ignition is the same a regular black powder.  I got it for nothing so I can't complain much.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:42:07 AM »

I got it for nothing so I can't complain much.

Kind of hard to beat - someone giving up 50 pounds of Goex and you being the lucky
recipient!  I'd say you were in the right place at the right time! :)

And yes, I to would use it. :)

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
David,

CTG was introduced back around 1995.  A lot of nonsense spouted off about what it was/is.

Basically it is little more than regular 2Fg production that was heaved back into the polishing barrel for a little more polishing and a second coating of graphite.  The additional rounding of the grains makes it look smaller than it actually is.

There was much wriiten about it on the various BP Catridge message boards.  Some claimed it was a bit faster than regular Goex while others claimed it was a bit slower.  Some claimed cleaner burning some claimed not as clean.  They were simply quibbling normal production lot to lot differences in these powder properties.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 03:54:57 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I  couldn't find anyone in my area that knew anything about it.  Proof again what a great site this is.

hawknknife

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »
David, Would you be interested in selling 2 lbs of the cartrige powder?  No one sales BP in my state and I would load cartridges with it and be glad to pay the hazmat fee.  I have not located a dealer that would ship less than 5 pounds..Thanks..Carl Merck

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 12:37:56 AM »

Hawknknife,
I am not sure what the laws are for me to sell powder, but I would be glad to give you two lbs.  Please e mail me with your address.  (David@davidpriceflintlocks.com)