Author Topic: Inlay thickness  (Read 3391 times)

Offline James

Inlay thickness
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »
How thick is a normal inlay? I want to order sheet coin silver and I know I've seen the dimension somewhere, just can't remember.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Inlay thickness
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:58:01 PM »
.03 to .04 inches is plenty!

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »
Thank you!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

blunderbuss

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
James
I restored an original long rifle once that ( vintage 1814) that had brass inlays with thinner silver soldered on top

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
James
I restored an original long rifle once that ( vintage 1814) that had brass inlays with thinner silver soldered on top

Never thought of doing that. Sure can cut the cost of production and still have some nice looking real silver inlays.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
I use pure silver for my inlays.  Quite a number of years ago, I bought a 6" x 12" x .062" sheet of 999 silver for about $500.  Recently, I paid almost $600 for the same sized sheet but only .032" thick.  1/32" thick stock is going to have to do for the next twenty years.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.