Author Topic: Third Rifle, several firsts  (Read 7484 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Third Rifle, several firsts
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »
Took my latest build to the range yesterday for the second time with much better results. The first time out I had problems getting sparks. I went back to the shop and finally decided I needed a stronger mainspring than the one that came with the assembled lock ao I set out to try making my first mainspring. Much better results this time out. Still have work to do with fine tuning sights and load etc.., but the first three shots off rest at 50 yds. cut one hole in the 9 ring with the sights just as I installed them without any adjustments.

This one has a lot of firsts for me. I built all of the parts except the barrel and lock. Iron mounted with forged buttplate and triggergaurd. I made my first set triggers for this piece as well and they work very well. The stock came from a wild cherry from my back yard,
also my first slider wood patchbox, first barrel keys instead of pins. First stock mouldings.

The lock was the biggest challenge even though I started with an assembled lock I spent a great deal of time tuning and reworking it. I wish now I had sent it back but I didn't really recognize all its flaws untill I was in too deep. A more experienced builder would have seen these things sooner probably but I've learned alot and gained a great deal of confidence in the process.

The finish on the iron and wood didn't turn out too well for some reason. I tried linseed oil but it seemed as if it woul never dry, still seems gummy? I ran out of browning solution about halfway through. I was sure I had another bottle. Well in spite of some of the disappointments I have a few victories and If this rifle shoots as well as I think it might I can live with a little ugly, at least till I get around to redoing it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

WV_Mountaineer

Re: Third Rifle, several firsts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:06:18 AM »
Sounds interesting, any pictures?  I would also be interested in knowing how you made the butt plate, material used, process, etc.

Thanks.
Steve

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:15:04 AM »
If it has been more than a week, I'd strip off the Linseed oil and start over.  Maybe you should add a drier or boil up according to the Dan Phariss recipe?  I'd also like to see pictures when you get the finishing touches on -- if it is the one you had at B-borough, it was very cool then and it sounds like you added some final touches.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:36:54 AM »
Same one from boonesborough. Buttplate was forged from an old door threshold all from one piece hammered out on a tree stump and the anvil horn. Triggergaurd from cold rolled round stock. How do you strip the linseed oil?
Well here are the pics. Interior of lock shows new homemade mainspring from an old hayrake tooth. Welcome constructive criticism. What do you think?

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:49 AM »
I like it- a lot!  It has a lot of character and a "strong" look!  I'd be proud to have a rifle with such unique qualities.  The trigger guard and butt plate are very well done. Thanks for sharing it.  I use kerosene to clean up linseed oil.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:34 AM »
That's the one; I think you added the fore-end molding since.  Nice work, and I'm really impressed that you made a mainspring and it works.  You need a closeup of the sideplate, also, for the Honaker fans, who will notice that triggerguard right off.

I think steel wool and mineral spirits will take the uncured oil off -- what I would try first, but there's more authoritative folks than I on here; it's likely someone has a more certain and/or less messy way.

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 05:15:53 AM »
Very nice.  I agree with Bill, it has a lot of character. 

Thanks for sharing,
Steve

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »
I also like the rifle.  It has character.  I like the design of the butt stock, the butt plate and the moldings.  I think the stain is perfect for the cherry.  The sliding wood patch box adds to the rifles character.
Mark Thomas

Offline heinz

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:45:31 PM »
Nice rifle with a lot of style and character.  Nothing wrong with the finish (Unless it is super premium curly and not showing up :-)  You can always make it darker, it is lighter that is tough.
kind regards, heinz

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
Howdy Fellows,

I've managed to steal a few minutes for myself and see my friends here!

I certainly like the forend shape, and the tang, buttplate, and nose piece are real sharp too!

Nice work!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Best Hog Hunting in Florida!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
I think you've done a nice job on your rifle too.  The wood has some very interesting character especially in the butt, and it looks like a great shooter.
Regarding your lock...I too have used Davis' big Twigg lock, and unless everything is perfectly balanced, hardened and tempered, no sparks will issue.  You have done a great job on the mainspring, though I'd like to see a little more metal right at the bend.  Nice job filing out the finial.
I used one of these in a fowler many years ago, and it sparked like crazy.  The one in my parts box right now, will not spark at all.  But it was a kit or parts set, and I assembled it myself, so I have lots more work to do.  But look at it this way...think of the satisfaction and what you've learned about locks in the doing.  That's pretty hard to put a $ figure on, eh?
Seeing your rifle, I just might use my Twigg lock in my next build, which is also an iron mounted Southern Mountain rifle.  I've been saving it for a blunderbuss....
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »
Love the rifle and the look---didn't see anyone tell you how to gid rid of the sticky linseed, other than strip it off.  I found out years ago that you can only put so many coats of linseed on a stock before it quits sinking in.  The old adage "1 coat a day for a week, 1 coat a week for a month and 1 coat a month for a year" has never worked for me. When it gets to the sticky stage, I take 0000 steel wool and WD-40 and rub it down, then take a cotton cloth to wipe off the oil and the excess linseed.  The WD-40 cuts the sticky linseed and leaves a great smooth finish without the stickiness.  Try it, I think it will work for you.  If you start stripping the finish, you will have to go back to staining and the whole finish routine all over, and you already have a great looking finish on this rifle.  Congrats on a great looking piece.

longrifle

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:01:18 AM »
I like the look's of the rifle. I wouldn't strip the stock and start over, just rub the sticky uncured excess linseed oil down like the other guys are talking about and I think you will be ok. That is a fine looking rifle
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:04:05 AM by longrifle »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:16:09 AM »
In my expereince, I have found sunlight to almost be required for linseed oil to cure in any reasonable lenght of time.  Seems a day in good sun is as good or better than a week inside.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 03:22:08 AM »
In my expereince, I have found sunlight to almost be required for linseed oil to cure in any reasonable lenght of time.  Seems a day in good sun is as good or better than a week inside.

Ditto

C. HUMMEL

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:30 AM »
    Hey Great job!
Man,i like everything about this rifle!
                                                             Ernie

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
Thanks for all the generous comments guys. And yes there needs to be a little more metal in that bend on the mainspring. I had to rebend it to get it to work out right and I was worried it would thin out a little there when I did. Next time I will make that bend BEFORE I file the pin and lug and leave a little extra stock so I can file them to fit after the bend is made, but the steel is fairly heavy and so far it seems ok.
I will try saving my finish on the stock. Thanks for all the input.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA