Author Topic: small Siler flint problem  (Read 6357 times)

Mike R

small Siler flint problem
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
I have a squirrel rifle made with a small Siler lock.  The lock's frizzen will not close on half cock when using a standard small flint.  I have been told that early small Silers have this problem and that I need special small square flints--so I have ordered some from Track.  Is this correct?  Do new small Silers not have this problem?  Can a new one be switched out for the one I have?  It is a new rifle but the maker may have used an old lock...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:23:58 PM by Mike R »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: small Siler flint problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
I am not certain, but I'll wager that the internals for the small Siler are the same as those in the Lg one, except for the mainspring which is smaller.  If this is true, install one of Jim's new tumblers and sears in the lock and this will take care of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:12:41 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
My squirrel LR has a small  Siler flintlock that was purchased from Bud Siler and flint length has alway been a problem and suitably sized flints weren't that common.  If the flint is barely touching the frizzen at half cock, it works fine. As the flint is knapped to a shorter length, the frizzen doesn't toggle over and ends up atop the flint. My solution....the frizzen was opened to 30 degrees, the "toe" posuition was marked on the frizzen spring and a "hump" or raised surface was ground in w/ a Dremel. Works lke a champ.  Hopefully, this problem has been rectified by  Chambers.....Fred
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:51:08 PM by flehto »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
I have a squirrel rifle made with a small Siler lock.  The lock's frizzen will not close on half cock when using a standard small flint.  I have been told that early small Silers have this problem and that I need special small square flints--so I have ordered some from Track.  Is this correct?  Do new small Silers not have this problem?  Can a new one be switched out for the one I have?  It is a new rifle but the maker may have used an old lock...

The older Silers lacked proper flint clearance so you need the short flints.
The ones sold by Chambers have been rectified.
You might call Chambers Flintlocks for a fairly easy fix.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
Jim will give you the details, but I'm guessing that fitting one of the new tumblers will solve your problem.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
I am not certain, but I'll wager that the internals for the small Siler are the same as those in the Lg one, except for the mainspring which is smaller.  If this is true, install one of Jim's new tumblers and sears in the lock and this will take care of the problem.

Just how much was that wager Taylor!?!   ;D  The two locks have completely separate internal and external components all the way down to the screws.  The only exception is the fly which is the same on both. 

If the lock was purchased back when Bud still owned Siler then it was purchased in kit form (that's all that Bud sold) and then assembled by whomever.  I would guess that the different lock assemblers back then might have been part of the reason the lock performances differ more so in the older Silers than in the newer ones.  That being said we did modify the small tumbler once we took over Siler and thus corrected the flint clearance problem.  A new tumbler should work just fine in and old lock, so just let us know if you need one.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »
In my defense, Barbie, I haven't worked on a small Siler for about twenty-five years, so I defer to your better knowledge.  So I should have kept my big mouth shut - now I'm in your debt!!  This isn't the first time for me!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »
In my defense, Barbie, I haven't worked on a small Siler for about twenty-five years, so I defer to your better knowledge.  So I should have kept my big mouth shut - now I'm in your debt!!  This isn't the first time for me!!!

25 Years!  Well it seems it must be time for you two to get reacquainted!  I'm sure what ever you put it on will turn out great Taylor!   ;)
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
Mike, you might want to give Rich Pierce a call about making you some custom size flints for that lock.  He just loves making 1/2" square flints. ;D ;D ;D  I could hear my ears ringing when he was making them.  You will really appreciate having the correct size flint.  White Missouri's are the best.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
I have to sharpen my fingers just to hold on to those little flints.   >:(
Enjoyed giving Bill a hard time
Andover, Vermont

Mike R

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Just how much was that wager Taylor!?!   ;D  The two locks have completely separate internal and external components all the way down to the screws.  The only exception is the fly which is the same on both. 

If the lock was purchased back when Bud still owned Siler then it was purchased in kit form (that's all that Bud sold) and then assembled by whomever.  I would guess that the different lock assemblers back then might have been part of the reason the lock performances differ more so in the older Silers than in the newer ones.  That being said we did modify the small tumbler once we took over Siler and thus corrected the flint clearance problem.  A new tumbler should work just fine in and old lock, so just let us know if you need one.

Thanks--the maker says he got the lock from Garner of the old TVM some years ago.  So, all I have to do is switch out the tumbler?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
I was busy hardening frizzens yesterday when Barbie ask if I had made any changes to the small Siler tumbler.  Being busy I guess I didn't give her enough info about the change.  The only thing changed was the shape of the foot of the tumbler where the mainspring rides on it.  The position of the half and full cock notches are the same.  That means you will still need the short, square flints even with the "new" tumbler.  Yes,  I do need to change the notch positions to allow for the use of a standard flint.  It's one of those many "imporvements" I want to make but have limited time to accomplish.  Until then, there is one thing you can do to change the cock position, and that is to substitute the tumbler from our Golden Age lock for the small Siler one.  That tumbler moves the half and full cock positions much further back from the frizzen.  That change can be made with little or no other modfications to the lock.

Mike R

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I just bought 20 small square flints, so I guess I am OK for the moment, but maybe I will try your 'fix' in the near future.  The lock performs well otherwise, I just had to go to full cock to close the frizzen with the original flint in it--not safe for hunting, but at the range, with care, it worked OK.  It is a fast little lock and I think with the proper flint might work even better? as it will strike the frizzen lower on its face.  With the long flint it almost touched the frizzen at full cock and strikes it high.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
Mike .
this is what i do . i take the larger flint and Knapp off a small   area center of the back of the flint  for the cock screw  . this allows the flint to set farther back  in the jaws ..
 I have not found this to effect the life of the flint any  because your not shortening it at all . You just giving clearance for the cock screw