Author Topic: Barrel Staples  (Read 2605 times)

Offline cmac

Barrel Staples
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:01 AM »
Just wondering if it is better or stronger to use the stake in type barrel staples or dovetail type? I have the stake type. Are Track of the Wolfs stake tools worth the money?

LehighBrad

Re: Barrel Staples
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »
Speaking from experience I personally like the dovetail method for under barrel lugs. In my opinion they're very strong. I recently took a 42 inch long .45 caliber straight barrel out of a rifle I built years ago, before I knew any better, I had used the staples for the under lugs. Imagine my surprise when I punched out the pins, lifted out the barrel, and found NONE of the three staples I used still attached to the barrel!!! All three were laying in their slots in the bottom of the barrel channel!! I suppose only my barrel's tang bolt and a little snugness between the barrel's side flats and the wood was all that was holding that barrel in!! It's hard to beat a tight fitting dovetail...let alone a peened dovetail to boot.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11:10 AM »
I've used both with great success.  Never lost a staple, never lost a dovetailed lug.  The only reason a staple would pull out, is if it wasn't staked properly.

You can't use the staples on really thin barrels, but they are extremely easy and timesavers on heavier barrels.  MOST convenient if you're using barrel keys.  You can use the loop type, and not have to tile in the slot for keys.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:29:07 AM »
Plenty of barrel. Its a rice 32 cal. 13/16 oct