Author Topic: Southern Rifle by Ian Pratt for Art Riser  (Read 21263 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Southern Rifle by Ian Pratt for Art Riser
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
Being very partial to southern mountain rifles, I couldnt not mention Ian's rifle as shown on the Blog this morning.

What a great looking mountain rifle. I believe Art is a fortunate man indeed.
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline louieparker

Re: Southern Rifle by Ian Pratt for Art Riser
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
Yes it is a great looking rifle and as for Art he looks very happy, Louie

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
Got a look at that rifle at Norris - it is really a thing of beauty.  It looks exactly like what it should be.   It's a good example of how one builder can build a great rifle that stands on it lines and mounts, and attention to little details, that stands up proudly in equal company with his fanciest carved and engraved work.  Really fun to see the two sides of the work.

Guy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
I like it. The iron comb plate is really nifty. The antiqueing is great too......I might have beat it up a bit more though. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:01:11 AM »
Mike - you are right - the aging on the wood is really amazing when you see it up close - not talking about the simulated repair either - the general look of age of the wood that Ian imparted to this one looks like a 175 year old gun.  I know that is not everyone's taste, but for those of you who it does appeal to, I think it is really impressive on this piece.

Guy

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:54:27 AM »
 Always  look forward to checking out Art and Jans Site in the morning and seeing Ians work was a bonus. Nice Work.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:14:07 PM »
Real neat looking gun.  I like some of the innovative things he does, like the comb covering....different.   One other thing..........did you notice that as he starts to age he is starting to look more like Hacker Martin????     I'll soon find out
if he checks on the forum or not..................Don

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
That's my latest favorite rifle!  It is almost prefect!  The imperfections make it even better!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Don Getz
One other thing..........did you notice that as he starts to age he is starting to look more like Hacker Martin?Huh ......Don

Don, You're a hoot!!

These iron-mounted/Southern/Soddy-Daisey/ Appalachian mountain rifles are really start'n to come into their own.

Offline Collector

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37:49 AM »
Whose flintlock did Ian use for this build??  I like it's proportions and features.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
Question for Ian.   Was the stock actually split, or did you just make it look like one?    You'll learn, that darn persimmon
wood.   It was funny when I saw that repair because John and I are working on a barn gun and are putting a copper
sheet repair around the wrist.   Saw one that Allen Martin did that way also, really looked great.   One more thing, I saw
the picture of Roy Stroh holding that neat rifle of his, not sure who is leading in the Hacker Martin look-alike contest.............Don

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
It looks nice in the pictures but it was a beauty to hold.  I know why Art is smiling.  Ian really hit the nail with this one.   Great architecture and patina. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:29 PM »
Ian, great gun!  Hopefully soon I can get those pictures to you. 
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:04:33 AM »
This rifle is beautiful, I really like the iron furniture. I love everything about it except one thing....It's not mine. Nice work Ian....Frank

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »
Don, I quarantee it's a fake repair.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
Post for Ian,

Ian says hope you didn't bet too much $$ Bill!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:10:17 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Collector

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me who manufactured the lock on this fine piece?  Is it a modified/unmodified Chambers' or L&R perhaps?  Anyone?  Anybody?   ??? ???

Offline art riser

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
Ian is out of pocket.  I'm sure when he returns he can answer the lock question for you.

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
Can anyone tell me who manufactured the lock on this fine piece?  Is it a modified/unmodified Chambers' or L&R perhaps?  Anyone?  Anybody?   ??? ???

Modified Chamber's Ketland is what I'm guessing.....

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
I'd say with confidence that it's a Danny Caywood lock.  I have one, and it's outstanding!!  It has a very quick action, nice light release, and throws tons of sparks, especially for a small lock.  Ian has done some filing to change the shape of the plate and to remove the factory lettering.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Collector

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:39 PM »
Taylor,  You nailed it!!  There's absolutely no doubt that it's a Caywood lock.  A very public and sincere thank you, for pointing me in the right direction.  ;D

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
Gentlemen (and Don...)  I thank you for the very nice compliments on Art's rifle, and thank you Art for having me build it for you.
 I have been away from civilization for a week and this is a real neat welcome home. Jan's pictures look great, those were taken at the show in Norris, Tennessee - any builders of Southern guns looking for inspiration, start planning now to go to next year's show if there's any way you can possibly make it. So much iron mounted stuff there this year that all the compasses within a fifty mile radius of the museum were rendered useless for that whole weekend.

Don, don't ever try one of those fake copper wrist repairs on persimmon wood - there's some kind of nasty chemical reaction between the two, I originally had done it on Art's gun and after a couple days the wrist heated up like crazy and cracked almost in half, had to nail it back together.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
Ian.........yeah, I know all about the heat........admit it, it fell out of your vise.     This gun resembles the little 28 cal. gun
that Art bought from son John.   Did that gun have any influence on what you did for Art?  By the way, that little 28 did
come back, almost home, to Lewisburg.    Serious.......love the gun you did, even the repair, hopefully we'll be able to see
at Arts table at the CLA show...........Don

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
Well, ok it did fall but only because it was so hot it burned my hands and I dropped it. Landed on that same rock Jan Riser was using as a backdrop for the photos. We found some baling wire and wrapped it up temporarily while we were looking for nails. Looked good, I may do that when I'm building one next time.
  I think I know the rifle you are talking about, while it is a really cool little rifle no it definitely isn't what inspired this one. Side by side you'd surely see they are not the same.  There is a whole world of neat original Southern guns out there, iron mounted and otherwise, that are just as varied and worthy of study as any other American rifles. I pretty much live and breathe these things, can't get enough of them, study the $#*! out of them any time I get a chance, that's where most of the inspiration comes from. Even within the boundaries of what we consider "mountain rifles" there is a tremendous variety and loads of details and features that will make a new gun look "right".
  What I try to do is learn all I possibly can about the originals and then attempt to put all that into motion. I take what I know about a group of rifles or style of rifle, think about what goes into them and use that as a starting point rather than just copying what I see. The "what you see" part has to come into play of course so you don't end up with a mutant, but it's a challenge for me to try and put together something new and fresh, but still have it make sense is regard to era / region / proper construction etc.
   I really hope Art brings that along to Lexington too, I got pretty attached to that one myself.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:21:44 PM by I.Pratt »

Dancy

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
I really had to look at that one closely in TN and ask myself "is that an original rifle?". Only later found out Ian built it. Great piece!