Author Topic: Set triggers ?  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Set triggers ?
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »
Were the set triggers made in the Moravian settlements, like Christian's Spring of the double lever type, a single lever that had to be set in order to fire, or both, and if so, which one would be typical of the know examples.
Also, can I use mild steel to fashion the triggers and harden them up with something like Kasenit, or would a hardening steel like 01 be better? I'm a little worried about getting the proper temper on the engagement areas and having it chip out.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

greybeard

Re: Set triggers ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »
I make mine with mild steel and use kasenite on all bearing surfaces.

If the set triggers are properly set up you should be able to cock the lock without setting the trigger.
Bob
I would like to add that if the  lock has no fly then the set triggers must be installed so that you have to set the triggers in order to cock the gun so as to protect the half cock byte in the tumbler???. In this case you dont require double lever set triggers, only single lever are needed.Bob
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:51:37 PM by greybeard »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:14:47 AM »
Were the set triggers made in the Moravian settlements, like Christian's Spring of the double lever type, a single lever that had to be set in order to fire, or both, and if so, which one would be typical of the know examples.
Also, can I use mild steel to fashion the triggers and harden them up with something like Kasenit, or would a hardening steel like 01 be better? I'm a little worried about getting the proper temper on the engagement areas and having it chip out.

Set triggers were old technology by the 1760s so how they were made would have been determined by the master of the shop. If teaching apprentices I would think that how to make both styles would have been taught. Having never been inside a Christian Springs rifle or even had one in my hands I can't make a comment beyond this. I don't make single lever triggers so if I made CS rifle it would have double lever triggers..

Mild steel case hardened is a good plan. But the entire trigger should be cased not just the contact points. IF chipping is a worry then back the parts at 350 degrees in an oven. Be sure to use 2 oven thermometers to assure the temp is correct. The oven dial is not precise enough. Tool steel needs to be baked at near 400, "straw" (golden tan) color after being hardened.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:01:04 AM »
Jack Brooks made castings off the Oeter rifle that surfaced a few years back.  At one time he had them for  sale.  I'd check with him.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »
The earliest Andreas Albrecht rifle built gun that I have seen has double set triggers & knowing the high quality of his lock work I would speculate that the triggers have double levers.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
RCA #42 is the double lever variety and is quite nicely made.  Personally I would not rely on Kasenite for the hardening.  Proper carburizing (case hardening) would be fine.  Making them out of O1 steel might be easier.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:45 PM »
RCA #42 is the double lever variety and is quite nicely made.  Personally I would not rely on Kasenite for the hardening.  Proper carburizing (case hardening) would be fine.  Making them out of O1 steel might be easier.

I have used Kasenite for years on everything from screws to tumblers to set triggers.
It has 2 major advantages.
Its easy for anyone to use.
It works.

Dan

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
Dan,

The kasenite may work fine and if you say it does I certainly take your word for it.  Personally I feel more comfortable with somewhat deeper hardening.  Lots of ways to get things done.

Jim

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
Thanks fellows, double lever is! A discussion among knowledgeable people is always good for those of us without same. Most appreciative!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »
Dan,

The kasenite may work fine and if you say it does I certainly take your word for it.  Personally I feel more comfortable with somewhat deeper hardening.  Lots of ways to get things done.

Jim

Kasenite will harden as deep as needed. Its been a standby for a very long time if it did not work this would not be the case.
Have you ever had a part wear out or fail because it was only .004-.005 deep?
The equipment and time needed for pack hardening is not really viable for repair work etc where one small part may need hardening.

Dan

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
Dan,

After I go through all the trouble to make the best possible lock or set triggers I can, why would I use a process such as Kaseniting a tumbler or set triggers?  This "may" or will "most likely" hold up for the service the parts will see, but I choose not to go down that path.  When I'm doing the best work I can, I will always choose a process that provides the best insurance and security.  I'm not building guns for a hobby and I'm attempting to produce the best work possible.  For someone building guns for themselves, or primarily as a hobby, another approach may be appropriate.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you should do as I do or that your process won't work.  I just choose to do things differently.  I surely hope you understand what I'm saying as I really don't want to debate or explain myself any further.  Hope you understand.

Jim