Author Topic: Raid at Martin's Station  (Read 2606 times)

Offline AndyThomas

Raid at Martin's Station
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
Those in, or passing through, East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, and Western North Carolina (including those attending the Chambers kit building class, we’re only 3 hours away!) may enjoy the Raid at Martin’s Station this weekend. There will be about 400 reenactors present, for this 1775-1776 event.

Some scheduled activities for Saturday, May 14 are as follows:

1pm – Battle with Indians/Tories

2pm & 6pm – seminars by Mark A. Baker

4:30pm – The Virginia Frontiersmen’s Gear and Documented Terminology, by Wallace Gusler & Eve Otmer

8:30pm – night battle with Indians/Tories

And, oh yeah, visit our gunshop, and see the rifle (#2) we’re building, which will be raffled off at next years Raid. This rifle will have a handmade lock by Mike Miller and a handmade barrel by Richard Sullivan of Colonial Williansburg.

I’ll be in the gunshop 9am-5pm on Friday, and noon-3pm on Sunday. Gary Tucker will be subbing for me again (thanks Gary) on Saturday. Mike Miller may also be in the gunshop doing some engraving demos.

For more info go to: www.historicmartinsstation.com  The first minute of the trailer has some doings at the gunshop.

Hope to see you this weekend!

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: Raid at Martin's Station
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
Andy,
Thanks for letting me sub for you again Sat. at the Raid.  Had a blast.  The weather even cooperated.  Just one little shower about mid morning.  It's always a pleasure to talk to people about longrifles, and early history.  There are always a handful of youngsters who are full of questions, and are truely interested.
Mike Miller was there engraving a lock and doing a little carving for the crowd.
Got to talk to Mark Baker and Wallace Gussler.  Always a treat.
Met 3 young men from Germany.  One is a Gun builder.  Flintlock Jaegers!!  Didn't speak much English, but we exchanged e-mails so maybe we can do some corresponding.  They were a lot of fun.
Gary Tucker

greybeard

Re: Raid at Martin's Station
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:58:28 AM »
You know, sometimes I feel cheated living on the far west coast of Canada,  .  I did make the trip to Friendship in 1978 or so but sooooo many miles for an old Greybeard    ....
      Cheers  Bob