Author Topic: Inletting Locks: Must have tools?  (Read 15449 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Re: Inletting Locks: Must have tools?
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 05:26:18 AM »
Bill of the 45th,

I'm pleased that I was able to help in some small way! I double check the list (Afghanistan Must Have List) every so often just to keep it up to date.

Dave B,
Maybe you can share a few photos of your little router with us. I would especially like to see the cutters you designed.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles
The Range Reviews: Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn

Offline Dave B

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
The brass used for this project came from the cast off key's from a lock smith.

As you can see the bits are reversible. There are two size tooth cutters and one scraper the opposite of the normal router cutter blade

I feel that the best thing about this size router plane is that it is small enough you keep contact on small lock mortices lock panels. The bigger ones your all ways falling off the edge as your planes  shoe opening (throat)?? is too big. I have not had this problem with this sweetie.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
here is a good example where this is helpful with side plate inletting.

Dave Blaisdell

38_Cal

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
Nice work and a handy sized tool, too!  My big one has about a 1 7/16" triangular opening and a 3/16" wide tooth, small one's about 1 1/8" and 1/8" tooth.

David

Odd Fellow

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:43 AM »
I got a simple carving set, I bevel the inside edge smaller than the outside ever so slightly then I trace the outline of the lockplate with a marking knife. then I cut it out and carve it down. then I scrape the interior surfaces flat then I push the lock in and use a dowel on the body of the lock plate tapping it deeper then removing the lock and scraping the contact away.

If it is a flat plate I will snug it up to the barrel then carve away the standing wood to a point then sand the metal with the wood, the result is a wonderful fit.

My method more than likely is not the best, quickest, or safest way to do it, but that's what I do.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
Fellows,

Thanks for the comments.
Dave B, thanks for the pictures and the explanation. I am always amazed when I see a filigreed plate or inlay inlet into a stock. I’ll get there, sooner or later!

Best regards,
Albert