Author Topic: 3-cornered file  (Read 3675 times)

Offline hortonstn

3-cornered file
« on: May 13, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
where do i buy a large 3 cornered file to do the dove tail on a wooden patch box?
thanks
paul

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: 3-cornered file
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
I do mine with a chisel by eye...

Three corner files have too acute an angle for wood box dovetails, generally.  I will use one after the dovetails are cut out just to smooth up the surfaces, but not to establish the angles.

I just use an ordinary three corner file from the hardware store.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:32 PM »
It may help to break the tip off of it, where most of the taper is.  Nice to have the file flat instead of tapered (plus, the broken tip acts as a scraper)

You can use one of the dovetail files which are flat.  I get them from Brownell's.   ;)  Oh, and when you get one, take a grinder and round over the sharp edge opposite the cutting face.  That sucker will slice your thumbs wide open!!!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Dave Waters

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:57:29 PM »
I made a dove tail scraper from a piece of 1/16" thick steel sheet and it worked great
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:06:49 AM by Dave Waters »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
I have picked my files up from the machine shope supply in town. I like the nicholson files.  I always grinde on flat slick (safe). I know a lot of the guys are buying from MSC. 1-800-753-7970      .
Dave Blaisdell

Meteorman

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
if you can, become an auction-hound.
Almost every file I use, I got at auctions.
I picked up a nice lot this past Friday, all Nicholsons: 2 mills, 3 pillars, 2 xtra fine barrettes (I think they're called), and two 3-cornered.
All in great shape.
Price: $4.00
yeah, you'll hit 3 bum auctions for every good one, but that's half the fun !
/mike