Author Topic: Dunlap Woodcraft  (Read 5315 times)

chuck c.

Dunlap Woodcraft
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
My first build from a blank has been quite a challenge so far. After inletting the breech plug and tang yesterday it was time to take some wood off the sides with the band saw. I was sick when this uncovered a 5 inch crack running from the breech  through the wrist. The blank was a grade 6 from Dunlap. I'm really upset because I've always heard that ounce you cut it, you own it! I already have a lot of work and money invested in this project and I'm thinking it just got a lot more expensive. I'm assuming at the very least I'll have to ship the blank back to Dunlap's and they will decide if they will or won't replace it. It's late Saturday but I call Dunlap's anyways and the person that I talk to tells he is sure they will make it right, but call back tomorrow (Sunday!) and talk to Daniel. I then took several digital photos of the crack to support my argument and emailed them to Dunlap's. When I talked to Daniel on Sunday he's extremely apologetic and helpful. He explained that although rare, this sometimes happens and that they will do whatever they can to assure that their customers are satisfied. He hadn't even looked at the photos and was just going on my word. To make this long story short they're going to replace the blank at no charge as soon as they have a shipment of sugar maple. I'm posting this to let anyone who may not know that this is great company that you can deal with knowing that your satisfaction is very important to them and that they stand behind their product!

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: Dunlap Woodcraft
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »
I will second that. Daniel helped pick out some very nice blanks for me a while back . He took a lot of time to get just what I was after. Great people to work with.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
Ditto,

And you won't find better wood.... anywhere.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline acorn20

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
Chuck,

At least you called right away.  I was so upset when bandsawing revealed two checks in a figured walnut stock; one running thru the end of the ramrod hole across the front of the lock and one right thru the wrist.  I think I might even have cursed.
I used a piece of plain walnut to stock that "shortie" 54 cal. brushgun.  About six years later I happened to mention what had happened to Daniel up at Dixon's and he said if they could determine that it was their wood, they'd replace it!  I can't believe that I hadn't stuffed that thing in the firebox but I still had it. I made a trip down to Vienna, Va. and Daniel confirmed that it was their wood by the thick coating of wax they liberally apply to the butt end.  Thank the good Lord that I hadn't cut it off.  Both he and Wayne welcomed me to peruse their warehouse to look for a replacement. 
Smallpatch is right.  You won't find better wood, service or guarantee anywhere!
Dan Akers

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 12:05:11 AM »
Now that is quality service. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

caliber45

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:49:41 AM »
I know you don't like us to waste space patting (commercial) folks on the back for doing a great job, but since others already have, I'll add my two cents worth. Daniel went to a lot of bother to find me some GORGEOUS  tiger stripe maple, and it -- and the price -- were wonderful. Can't say enough good things about Dunlap. Thanks, guys! - paulallen

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
The Dunlap gang is hard to beat.  We get over half of our blanks for our kits from them.  We can always count on their quality!  If you ever need wood for things other than gunstocks like knife handles try them.  They make guitar necks and other things as well as gun stocks.  Plus if you do little hobby projects like making ink pins and the such they have a great selection of small scrap wood of any kind you could imagine!! 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips