Author Topic: southern guns  (Read 5553 times)

chuck-ia

southern guns
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
Could anyone recommend a book (lots of pictures) on southern guns? I am just getting started on another gun, just started inletting the barrel, I don't know what type of gun I want yet. I have RCA volume 1, and thumbing through it, nothing seems to jump out at me. Seems I am falling into a groove where I like the looks of the more simple southern guns. I did a Gillespie  rifle a couple years ago, and really like the looks of it, I have thought about building another one. Those are really nice guns in the RCA book, most have a lot of carving and engraving, something I am not comftorable doing. Another thing, I have a new large siler deluxe lock, could the tail be filed down to look right on a southern gun? I have seen pictures of the large siler lock on southern guns, to me they just don't look right, maybe I am wrong on this. My gillespie has a late ketland on it. Advice? thanks chuck

Offline heinz

Re: southern guns
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Bill Ivey's book on North Carolina rifles has lots of pictures although it is short on measurements and details for building.  It does give an excellent feel for the range of architecture and the various schools and  changes over time.   RCA volume 2 has information on early southern guns and would be a good choice.  Also do not overlook the treasure trove of information right on this site in the museum under southern guns.
kind regards, heinz

timM

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »
Bill Ivey's new book is an excellent recommendation.  I would add Jerry Nobles 4 volume soft bound set to that recommendation. 

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »
Jerry Nobles books have more examples than any, but the pictures are not high quality.  Still, they are valuable IMO and I look at them often.  Bill Ivey's new book on NC rifles is fantastic and has some of the best photographs you will find.  Several iron mounted rifles in it as well.  

Personally, I would use a late ketland before trying to modify the siler lock.  Reshaping the lockplate isn't a big deal, but the pan and frizzen are.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Steve Bookout's site has a tutorial on how to convert the germanic Siler to be more like an English style, but it's more than bobing the tail, and I wouldn't waste my time, but would just get the late Ketland, Chambers or a Davis, or Durs Egg.  Save the Siler for another project, or trade it.  Just my opinion.  

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
The first step is to get RCA Volume 2. That is where G Shumway put the rifles he belived to be of southern origin. Like V1 it will be the early stuff, so it is a must if that is what  you are interested in.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »
There is more and more getting published on the individual regions and styles of longrifles made in the south.  All of the suggestions above are good.  Don't forget about the books by Jim Whisker on "Longrifles of Virginia" and "Gunmsiths of Virginia", Wayne Elliot's new book on Georgia rifles, and Dennis Glazener's book on Gillespie longrifles.

Since the resources for study of southern rifles are becoming more focused to specific regions the suggestion of starting on here with the virtual library is a good one too - find a general style/region/timeframe of rifle you would like before you invest in the books, then get the best books you can for that style. 

Even though the Ivey book studies North Carolina rifles, it has perhaps the broadest range of styles of southern longrifles that I have seen published in one book- literally hundreds of rifles - as there was tremendous variation within that state.  There are a lot of iron mouted guns in there - both Appalachian and piedmont, plain and fancy, if you like iron guns.

If you like early stuff - pre-1790's - you have to get RCA II.

chuck-ia

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:43:34 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, chuck

Offline okieboy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »
 This is not books with pictures, but don't forget the full size drawings "Southern Originals 1 &2", available from the Log Cabin Shop. They provide a lot of information that photos can't like cross sections and the ability to measure every dimension that interests you.
Okieboy

Offline LynnC

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »
chuck-ia,
I have modified 2 small Silers to look like English locks for southern rifles.  I didnt modify the frizzen much but reshaped the lock plate, pan and cock with very pleasing results.  Get your books out and look at a bunch of English locks.  Pick out the features you like and sketch the changes in pencil right on the lock.  When it looks right, redraw with fine sharpie pen and break out the files.  You can make something unique to suit your rifle and set it apart from stock lock guns.  Just my 2 cents................Lynn
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:30:33 PM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Meteorman

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:16:58 PM »
Lynn -
any chance of seeing a pic or 2  of your Siler mod work ?
when faced with using a left hand lock, we sometimes find ourself in Siler modification mode.
thanks.
/mike

Offline LynnC

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:46 AM »
I posted pics Once several years ago with the expert help of my computer guru (wife  ;D ).

I'll see if I can figure something out.........
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......