Author Topic: Who Do you Reach? Developing Interest  (Read 7545 times)

northmn

Who Do you Reach? Developing Interest
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:28:34 PM »
I read an article one-time in a trap shooting magazine about reaching out to develop interest in shooting sports.  What the individual said made a lot of sense to me.  Reaching kids is important, but basically they will not expand the ranks significantly.  The people to reach are those settled in with a little "disposable income"  Younger people may be struggling to pay off cars, houses and other toys and not have time due to family responisbilities, such as kids.  People seem to start entering sports like shooting about the time they get settled in their jobs and so forth.  Reaching out to kids is fun, and should be done.  From a marketing perspective, reaching out to those that fit the typical profile is very important.

DP

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Who Do you Reach? Developing Interest
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:11 PM »
I can agree with the "settled in" part, but we have to get to the kids before today's education systems brainwash them into hating guns. Plant the seed properly, let it grow and then mature and bloom.
Psalms 144

Offline dave gross

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:57:36 PM »
I imagine that many of us who are addicted to black powder guns followed a love of American history into the discovery of the firearms that were instumental in opening up the country.  Our schools have been utter failures in exposing our children to anything resembling a study of our history. In a recent study high school and college kids weren't able to place our major wars in the order of their occurence, let alone the years in which they were fought.  So our kids sit mezmerized by X-Box images, gobbling junk food and resisting even mild exercise, while the history revisionists  keep whittling the truth out of the textbooks.  One day the pendulum may swing the other way but it will be a long time I fear.  I agree that the people with a few years behind them and some disposal income are the ones who can be coaxed into our ranks.

Dave Gross

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:44:22 PM »
One way our local White River Brigade is trying to target folks is by taking part in our local small town 4th of July Parade.  The town really fills up during this event, not only with the local folks but many out of towners, and tourist from Fort Robinson State Park which is 3 miles west of us.

We wear our buckskinning duds, ride our trailer float through town throwing out candy and shooting off blank loads in the air with our muzzle loaders.  All walks of life seem to enjoy this, and all walks of life have the opportunity to see and hear these old traditional muzzle loaders (both flint & cap) going off in all their smoke and glory.  The folks along the route seem to love it and yell for more.  (Maybe they're yelling for more candy???) :D

The following weekend there is another Parade in Chadron, Nebraska which is 25 miles east of us and it helps to kick off the July Fur Trade Days, there.  This coupled with our Rendezvous Camp outside of Chadron, many folks come out to see and visit both.  I know I've visited with many tourist coming through camp on Friday and Saturday, and sometimes on Sunday, as they show an interest in what we're doing.

Whether people seeing and visiting these events go on to pursue the sport I couldn't say?  I'd like to think that some do.  The public really seems to enjoy the specticals of these events.  In a way I think we're targeting folks from all walks of life, young and old. :)

Here's a picture of this years float.  By the way, we did win first place in the open class and we donated the $50.00 dollars to our local Youth Center. :)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:09:56 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »
The best program I have seen to reach the kids has been the Scholastic Clays program which in Arizona is backed by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and Game and Fish Dept.  As shooters the kids are viewed by Game and Fish as the future source of income (hunting license buyers).   Very positive program and is being done nationally.  Maybe there is a place for the NMLRA or your local group to make some contact with this program and introduce them to something besides shotguns. 

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:03:28 AM »
I have had sporadic luck in offering to do living history presentations to elementary and junior high  history classes. This may be more difficult now that I am retiring and no longer recognised as the local cop.
If you can find an in to do this it works really well to spread out a trade blanket and show all sorts of items that would have been valued in that time period and explain how the items were used and referred to. How to start a fire with flint and steel. what a flash in the pan is. that sort of thing. I seem to have better luck at Jr. High level where you might find one Vvice principal who can help convince others. It can work opposite you though. You do have to be careful in some (inner city) schools  'cause some little fool will grab your tomahawk and you may have to buttstroke the little hoodlum to get it back. I taught DARE in full uniform and it didn't take long for me to add a warning to my intro speech that anyone touching my gun would get hurt before being expelled.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:11:07 AM »
One other idea.  Hit up the local LDS Church. The boys are pretty much all involved in Boy Scouts and make a very good attentive group to demo for. You can talk with the scoutmaster about the troop needs but can often present on history, any of the crafts involved in building a rifle, or field craft. I have had several very positive experiences with them.  It can be a difficult thing to approach cold turkey if you are not LDS.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

northmn

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
Again, working with kids is "planting the seed" for later years, but actually getting more participants is different.  In the early years, all ML'S were pretty much traditional.  We got those that bought a traditional TC or CVA that enjoyed shooting them.  Advertise a shoot and a few would show up.  You may still see a few of these even with the modern stuff.  Among gun owners in general there are those that enjoy shooting, read the magazines, and buy the latest and greatest developments.  A new wonder caliber comes out and they need one.  Then there are hunters that have been satisfied with what they have been using for the last 20 years and see no reason to buy something that won't work any better.  In a way we are the shooters that need to experiment.  We play with different calibers but also different designs.  Theres got to be a better shooting one, or a nicer one to build.  My point is kind of like this.  Were Barbie or Susie to look into advertising, they likely would admit that MuzzleBlasts would be a good source, that Vogue would not sell many period clothes.  How about AARP? Not saying they should, just using it as an example,  but it might reach more hobby builders and so forth than you realize (might not).   Or a woodworking magazine.  Throwing out ideas.

DP     

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 03:38:03 PM »
IMHO I don't think any idea to promote traditional muzzle loading is a bad idea and I'm sure all of us agree on this.

I had forgot to mention that next year after our local parade we are going to head to the range just outside town maybe 1/10th mile, and have a hands on demostration for anyone wishing to take part.  Ought to be a good time and very informative for many. :)

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
I write a weekly outdoor column for a couple of newspapers and web sites.  Four times a year I devote them to traditional muzzleloading.  I also participate in or support a number of craft groups, with my personal focus mostly on muzzleloading accessories.  That gets a surprising amount of interest from the "artsy" crowd.  Through my expsoure as a writer, I'm invited to speak to civic or service groups, and traditional muzzleloading is often the focus.  My most recent measure of success is attendance in the muzzleloading proficiency class required for participation on our special season.  They've gone from spotty participation to full classes since I began writing about it, and now they're even talking about adding classes.  My wife attended this year (yes!) and said about half the people there cited my columns and public speaking as reasons for participation.

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »
a great way to get kids interested in history and the firearms is to contact your local boy scouts troop.i am going to do a presentation for my sons troop,wear my longhunter clothes,bring my rifle and pouch and horn,demonstrate making fire and shelter,teach them of the way life was when you had to depend on yourself and your wilderness skills.i was fortunate enough to grow up in the country where hunting and trapping was something you just did.alot of inner city youths have never experienced this and given the oppertunity along with learning the history would thrive..

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »
Maybe we need to get Long John to write up a nice article on vinegar/iron stain for "Fine Woodworking" thay have a very considerable group of traditional woodworkers subscribing.

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:25 PM »
Now you're talking!

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »
a great way to get kids interested in history and the firearms is to contact your local boy scouts troop.i am going to do a presentation for my sons troop,wear my longhunter clothes,bring my rifle and pouch and horn,demonstrate making fire and shelter,teach them of the way life was when you had to depend on yourself and your wilderness skills.i was fortunate enough to grow up in the country where hunting and trapping was something you just did.a lot of inner city youths have never experienced this and given the opportunity along with learning the history would thrive..

Lew,

In past years I was heavily involved in the Boy Scouts of America organization as was Dave Kanger. I was a Scout master of a troop for several years and was associated with another troop that a good buddy of mine was the scout master. My troop went to my shooting range twice each year for a weekend of shooting and camping. I also brought my buddy's troop to the range twice each year for shooting and camping. Dave kanger also brought his troop to the range a couple of times each year and I participated in period dress  with his troop. While we offered the opportunity for the scouts to shoot muzzle loaders, as well as modern .22 rifle and modern shotgun, the muzzle loaders were always the most popular with the scouts. I also sponsored a council wide BSA shooting/camping weekend each year that drew several BSA troops for the weekend. So, over the years I sponsored or participated with BSA troops at my range 7 weekends each year. I also made presentations to scout troops at their weekly meetings as well as attending many BSA troop family camp outs and making presentations, setting up displays and giving talks at numerous camporees.

I have not been involved with the BSA for over ten years now and I still get two or three calls each year asking if I would participate at a weekend camp out or arrange to take a troop for a weekend at my range.

Of all the scouts that passed through these various troops, spent time shooting muzzle loaders and being educated in the history of the 18th and early 19th century, only one scout, to my knowledge, ever really got involved with shooting muzzle loaders, rendezvousing. reenacting, or hunting with muzzle loaders.

I know it seems like educating the Boy Scouts in muzzle loaders and period history looks like a good way to build strength in the muzzle loading field, but that was not my experience. I believe that Dave Kanger's experience is similar to my own.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 02:51:51 AM »
Even though they may not choose to be active in shooting sports I would bet you that none of those boys would be voting to ban guns as an adult

lew wetzel

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
randy,thats to bad..i would imagine not all would be interested,but to show that it is possible to live and hunt in the woods and finding shelter with the ability to make fire could save one of thier lives someday.of all the seeds you planted you did have one take hold and grow and that is the testament in itself....im not going to get too involved,just teach them wilderness skills and about mothernatures harvest.period style though!!!

BrownBear

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »
Small steps work, too.

I just returned from a deer scout, after which I stopped for a cup of coffee with a rancher friend.  Okay, we killed off a whole pot of coffee.  I helped him load a dozen head he was hauling in to slaughter, and since all of them were horned I asked him what he did with the horns.  He pointed over his shoulder and said "They're all out in the bone pile."

I asked to pick through them, and he asked what for.  I pulled my powder horn out of the truck and he got real enthused, saying "You know, I used to hunt a lot with muzzleloaders when I was a kid.  Just kind of fell out of it, but I've still got the rifle in the closet."  I offered to make him a horn for his generosity, and next thing you know I've got a dozen horns in the back of my truck and more as I need them.

But that's not the big deal, as far as this conversation goes.  He's going to start shooting with me, aiming to take up muzzleloading again.  And before I left his wife showed up with her parents, and they want to go, too.  They all took to the idea like ducks to water. 

Looks like for the effort of bending my elbow through a pot of coffee and making one powder horn, I've come out with a steady horn supply PLUS four new shooters.  And come to think of it, their string of horses will be real handy for getting this old body back into some of the tough country I used to hunt in my youth. 

How can you beat a morning like that?