Author Topic: Best Flintlock?  (Read 11766 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Best Flintlock?
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »
I'm sure this topic has been around before but I'm realatively a newbie. Thinking about a future build primarily for target work. What is the best lock available today, flint of course? What do you shooters like for speed and reliable sparking?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Best Flintlock?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »
My best target rifle is a Chambers' Mark Silver Virginia rifle with a .50 calibre barrel.  It weighs ten pounds and holds like a dream.  the lock is Chambers' round faced English lock.  Perfectly reliable.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
Jim's large Siler locks have been a favorite of mine for a long time.  I have 3 or 4 around here that were assembled by Jim and his friends.  Since these are available as kits, it pays to know who put the lock together.   I'd take no chances and buy an assembled and tuned lock directly from Jim. 

Another lock that I like a lot is the Chambers Late Ketland.  I videoed this lock in 2009 and was impressed with its speed and reliability.  It was very easy on flints.  (Lowell Gard brought the lock. We videoed every 10th trial up to 60.)

I have slow-motion video of both these locks.  They're impressive.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
I have been shooting flints since the mid 1960s.  I have lots of opinions but Pletch has the data.  Go with a Siler from Chambers and you will not go far wrong.  Some styles of rifle architecture may require (look better with) a different style but I would still look to Chambers.  I recently bought one of their round faced English locks that Taylor mentioned and it needed nothing done to it to tune it ( I may have done some things but they wern't needed:-)  It sparks profusely, my wife won't let me click it in the house.  But it is large and heavier than the Siler, so for target use I would favor the Siler.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:00:12 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
When it comes to quality, you can't knock any of Jim Chambers locks, however, when it comes to building a target rifle, I
would prefer Jim's late Ketland.   I have used so many of the Siler shaped locks and really like his super siler, but the late
ketland has one thing going for it.........it has a larger pan.  Think about this....if your flint becomes worn and you don't
get quite as many "sparks" from it, your chances of the poweder in the pan igniting are much greater if that area is larger.
...........Don

jeager58

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
can anyone comment on m&g locks.   likes and dislikes...phil

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
I like the looks of the MG locks, they cock really easy & smooth, and the bolster is Thicker on them which is a big Plus to be as it gets the mainspring off the barrel (wish they all did that), and when you cock them, the sear arm stays in the Same Place on off, half cock, and full cock position.......  
I have only used 1 on a rifle & that was about 3-4 years ago when they made the ? second batch of them. The customer  is a collector & he has never fired it.  So I cannot say how well the MG locks hold up, as I use mainly Chambers locks because I am confident in them & have had good success with them.

You can purchase the MG locks from Tip Curtis or  R.E.Davis company, should you wish to try one.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:57:18 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
My choice is far and away the Chambers late ketland for several reasons;  it's got a stong mainspring and sparks great, even with somewhat dull flints, has great flint life, is very fast, has raised bearings on the tumbler, and a big roller on the battery (frizzen), and the plate, cock, and pan have lots of extra material so they can be modified quite a bit.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »
The first gun I built about 5 years ago had an M&G lock on it.  Seems to eat flints, but other than that works very well.  Been my go to gun for shoots and used it plenty hunting, too.  BUT, all guns I've built since I've used a Chambers Siler, much more consistent flint life and it's just got a snappier feel to it.  Overall a better lock than the M&G in my experience.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
Thanks guys, alot of good response. Really glad to hear the good results with the Chambers round face. I bought one for an early Va. style walnut stock .62 I started. I shoot a .50 with a Siler I built from a kit and after about 4 years shooting (usually 2 matches a month plus practice) I just had to dress up the frizzen face. Still sparks good. Any response on L&R locks? What are MG locks? What about the little Manton style from L&R anyone shoot it?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
I have an L&R Durs Egg, which is very similsr to the Manton. It is a fast lock, but the late English style locks can be hard on flints. To gain speed requires strength in a mainspring, which in turn requires a pretty strong frizzen spring. I believe the basic design compromises flint life for performance. This, as well as being smaller is probably why they show up most often on pistols.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:52:35 AM »
I'm sure this topic has been around before but I'm realatively a newbie. Thinking about a future build primarily for target work. What is the best lock available today, flint of course? What do you shooters like for speed and reliable sparking?

The L&R 1700 is fast and does not jar the gun but needs work as it comes from L&R.
The small Siler is a good choice perhaps the best for that style lock. It will work good with barrels to 1 1/8" at the breech if the stock is properly shaped.
The large Siler is good too.
I would go with Chambers locks unless I had a specific need for a certain lock design.
Experience in building locks can change choices.
I have a one of The Rifle Shoppe's Manton rifle locks I built and its very fast, very reliable and not hard on flints. But it required parts making besides the castings

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Bob Roller of Huntington, WV has made some fine locks. That's all we use to use around here in the 70's and 80's. He also made some quality triggers.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »
Late Ketland, or small Siler.  We have more of those on the line here than anything else.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Stan Hollenbaughs Ditchburn locks are very fine locks in my experience.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Leatherbelly

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »
  I agree with Bob and Don, the Late Ketland is a mighty fine little mechanism! Huge pan,how can a spark escape it.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »
Bob Roller of Huntington, WV has made some fine locks. That's all we use to use around here in the 70's and 80's. He also made some quality triggers.

He still makes locks but people in the US are too cheap to pay the price.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ezra

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:24:55 PM »
Who has contact info for Mr. Roller?  Sorry for the drift...

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline cmac

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 04:34:31 AM »
I have used Chambers large silers and the deluxe large silers a lot and have no complaints. They also seem to be the more common and easiest to find parts for IF you ever need them. I have also put together some of Mold and Gun Shops type D fowlers and the lock they put on those are a rock crusher but seem to mellow some after a while. Mold and Gun Shop stands behind their products very well. I once had a main spring break and called to order a new one and they sent me a replacement free of charge