Author Topic: William Zollman VA, Gunsmith  (Read 5402 times)

Offline Longknife

William Zollman VA, Gunsmith
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
I posted pictures of this gun a while back and attempted to ID the maker but no one could.  Yesterday I talked with someone in New Jersey (THANKS MIKE) about it and e-mailed him pictures. He quickly ID'd the signature of William Zollman, Rockbridge Co. VA 1786-1834. I was elated!!!! There is even a book published with some of his rifles titled "Rockbridge County Atrisians and Craftsmen". I plan on ordering it. If anyone else has any info or rifles by W. Zollman I would sure like to see them....This has sparked a renewed interest in this gun and now plan a correct re-con....Ed

Per info by: Whisker, Gunsmiths & Allied Tradesmen of Virginia

Zollman, William (1785-1834).  gunsmith. 1810-34, Rockbridge County. Zollman was born about 1785 in Locust Bottom, Rockbridge County, Virginia, but moved to the Fork of the James River, near Natural Bridge. In 1808 he married Ann Ripley of Fincastle. Soon after that he moved to Zollman's Mill, Rockbridge County, and died on his farm on 9 August 1834.  His son Henry, one of 11 children, inherited the gunsmith's shop and operated it until 1896

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5417.0

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=40602228
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:49:04 PM by nord »
Ed Hamberg

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: William Zollman VA, Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:20:11 AM »
I've been hopingthat someone else would respond to this but it doesn't seem that is going to happen before it falls off the first page.
W. Zollman was in Rockbridge County and in the 1970s I decided to try and drive through the area where he was located just to see what the country was like. To my surprise I came around a curve in a little two lane road and saw Zollman on a rural mail box. That name isn't a common one so I gathered my nerve and pulled into the farm's drive. The family happened to be home and, yes, they were descended from the gunsmith! The showed me the ruins of an old stone foundation and said that had been the gunshop. It was an amazing experience for me as a fairly new student of Virginia gunsmiths.

The interesting thing, and the reason I've hesitated to respond to your post, is that your rifle doesn't look much like the few Zollman rifles I've had a chance to examine. I am not saying it isn't his work but his other work is more related to John Davidson's. Your rifle looks more like those made a bit farther north in Rockingham County.

Having said that I'll take the pictures you posted out to the Valley KRA show in Harrisonburg this weekend and see if anyone else has seen rifles by him that are more like this one. Do you have a picture of the signature?

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:11:14 PM »
Gary, I know there are other W Zollman guns out there and I hope to see some of them. I saw one poor picture on the net of a half-stock back action perc. that was supposed to be a Zollman. It appeared to have the same patchbox. There was also a son named William 1815-1884. He would have been 19 when his father died, old enough to have learned the trade.? Other things I learned about W Zollman, born 1786 Frederick Co. MD- died 1834 Rockbridge Co. VA. he ws declared an orphan in 1805, married Ann Ripley 1809, Botetourt Co VA. He is listed as being a Farmer, grist mill owner and gunmaker. William and Ann had 11 children in the 25 years they were married. William died in 1834 at only 48 years, Ann lived till 1870, she was 81 years old at time of death. I hope you can find more info about my Zollman, please feel free to copy the pictures and  if you need more, or better ones just let me know. Thank you for you response...Ed

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:26:29 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »
Gary, did you find any more info about my rifle at the KRA show? It appears that there were two Zollman gunsmiths. William, 1785-1834 and his son, Henry 1815-1896.... I wonder how Henry signed his rifles?...I appreciate any info you may have....Ed
Ed Hamberg

cshirsch

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:39:39 AM »
I just purchased a W. ZOLLMAN rifle in Houston, TX.  It is iron mounted.  If anyone would like to get more info on this rifle (not for sale) please contact me.

Chris Hirsch
cshirsch@windstream.net

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »
COOL, I'm sending yoiu an e-mail---Ed
Ed Hamberg