Author Topic: Comparing the L&R and R.E.Davis "Early" Trigger  (Read 4284 times)

Number19

Comparing the L&R and R.E.Davis "Early" Trigger
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:31:19 AM »
Both R.E.Davis and L&R have an "Early Style" trigger, Davis #1019 and L&R #T-9. I'm having to decide between these two.

Are both triggers functionally the same, or are there differences? What are the advantages, or disadvantages, between these two triggers?

The trigger I choose will be paired with the L&R Jacob Dickert lock.

Birddog6

Re: Comparing the L&R and R.E.Davis "Early" Trigger
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:00:26 AM »
 ??? Are you sure you have enough room in the Dickert triggerguard for your finger on the front trigger ?  You may want to be sure either one will work in a Dickert guard.  Have not used that L&R trigger, I always use Davis triggers & am confident in them.  I use a Davis DST-4 or 6 in a Dickert.  Maybe your guard is larger than the one I use. 
I would be more concerned about the lock reliably than the trigger, unless you are an expert at rebuilding locks....

Number19

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:26:05 AM »
The way I have it now, and things seem to change daily, only the lock is a Dickert. The "Early" trigger will be inside a Virginia guard. Reliability of the lock is an issue, but the Dickert lock is by L&R. I haven't read anything negative about the quality of their product.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »
Just my 2 cents you may want to do a search on this forum concerning the lock. I didn't and learned the hard way. However it may have just been my bad luck again. If I have learned anything about building these rifles it is to read this forum and Birddog6 is one of the best here IMO. Bob

Birddog6

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »
The way I have it now, and things seem to change daily, only the lock is a Dickert. The "Early" trigger will be inside a Virginia guard. Reliability of the lock is an issue, but the Dickert lock is by L&R. I haven't read anything negative about the quality of their product.

Then you have allot of catching up to do.  READ the Archives on ALL ML Sites.

Again I say, the trigger is not going to be the issue  However IMHO there are ALLOT better locks avail that I feel will work on that rifle that will be more Consistent & more Reliable than what you have chosen........

Now there are some that feel totally rebuilding a lock is part of the build, and that is OK. I see it differently, I feel when you buy a Built lock it should perform & work reliably.....

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:02 AM »
I always plan on some tweaking of the locks, I don't care who makes it.

You must lay out the relationship between lock and trigger set on paper. Very often I read about folks having the set triggers too far away from the sear bar, having to solder on a piece of metal. Or too close, having to bend the sear bar, or grinding the top of the sear bar down.

So often, the parts determine the stock shape. It's nice to have drawers and drawers full of parts to choose from. I have drawers full of stuff, but it's usually the wrong parts, so I have to buy more.  ;D

Remember, the set triggers can be reshaped, thinned down; bar bent to a different curve, etc.  A lot you can do to make the trigs fit your style.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Number19

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »

Then you have allot of catching up to do.  READ the Archives on ALL ML Sites.

Again I say, the trigger is not going to be the issue  However IMHO there are ALLOT better locks avail that I feel will work on that rifle that will be more Consistent & more Reliable than what you have chosen........

Now there are some that feel totally rebuilding a lock is part of the build, and that is OK. I see it differently, I feel when you buy a Built lock it should perform & work reliably.....

I did a search on on all the AmericanLongrifles boards for "L&R Jacob Dickert lock" and also for "Jacob Dickert lock". It found nothing.