Author Topic: Berk Co Pa Rifle maker PL Hain ?  (Read 7855 times)

d-hutton

Berk Co Pa Rifle maker PL Hain ?
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:43 PM »
I recently purchased an old rifle from an estate in Northern Calif.   The seller said it was originally from a Confederate family from Tenn. who eventually moved to Calif. after the Civil War. 
The Maple stock was broken behind the double trigger so I took it apart to clean and see if it could be repaired.  Once I removed the barrel, I noticed hat on the underside of the 8-sided barrel, there was the word PL HAIN stamped. 

After seeing that, I began to "google" PL Hain and discovered that in 1864 there was a PL Hain from Weirnerville, Berke Co. Pa that had a machine shop for rent.  I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this gunmaker.  Thank you.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Berk Co Pa Rifle maker PL Hain ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:07 AM »
With the name being on the underside of the barrel, that is more likely the name of the barrel maker, and not necessarily the gun maker.

If you can post some pictures of the gun, that would help in possibly identifying the maker.

John
John Robbins

d-hutton

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
Thanks, I will. 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
There's a tutorial on how to post pictures here; http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
And don't worry, it's not as hard as the tutorial makes it sound! :o

John  ;D
John Robbins

d-hutton

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:58:06 AM »
Thank you for your gentle and kind words.  I will try...

I didn't realize that there were just barrel makers as opposed to gun makers.  Though, if i had thought about it, it obviously makes sense.

After posting pictures, please advise me if the stock can be repaired.  If it can't, would I be able to purchase one to fit the gun?

Again, thank you for responding.
David

d-hutton

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »

d-hutton

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »

d-hutton

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

d-hutton

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

d-hutton

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »
I would think the rifle could be repaired due to all the parts are there and only the one area is broken. You will need to replace the missing wood but its possible to make it all whole again. I don't know any thing about where this piece was made but unless there is a clear signature it could be from just about any were. The cost of repair may exceed the value of the rifle if you higher it done.  I have several that are broken similarly but I have all the wood bits to reassemble for the most part. Good luck with your project
Dave Blaisdell

d-hutton

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
Thank you...

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
Well, your gun isn't broken any worse than this one, and both can be fixed;

However, having it repaired comes down to a matter of economics, and how badly you want it fixed.

From the pictures, I'd say what you have is a late period (1840/1860) single bolt percussion rifle that could have been made just about anyplace. A guess as to origin might be Lancaster, Pennsylvania, judging by the shape of the butt stock, but that's a generous guess at best. Value-wise, as it is now, maybe 300 bucks or so. There's a good possibility that the barrel was used on an older rifle originally, judging from the deep cut rifling style. Take a close look between the rear sight and the breech to see if there is a name engraved on the top flat.

As for fixing it, it's obviously had a rough life, and consequently having this break repaired by a restoration guy is going to cost you more than the gun is worth.

You mention buying a new stock, but unfortunately these aren't like modern guns, and a stock would have to be made specifically for this gun, which again runs you up well beyond the value of the gun.

About the best bet, is to fix the gun yourself if you're handy with wood and glue. There's plenty of guys here that can give you tips on the fitting and gluing process, and you will have saved an old gun from the junk pile and given it many more years of life!

John

John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 12:09:50 AM »
John, Yours looks well worth the save!   JIM
JIM