Author Topic: looking for a poor boy kit  (Read 5019 times)

FRJ

looking for a poor boy kit
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:10 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent "poor boy kit" ? I tried TVM but they dont have any photos of their rifles. I really want a poor boy just wont spend my money till I can see what I'm getting. Frank

Offline bob in the woods

Re: looking for a poor boy kit
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »
Try the other TVM- I'm pretty sure they have photos.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »
Isn't a Poor boy a sandwich sold in the French Quarter of New Orleans.  What's a poor boy.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:55 AM »
Isn't a Poor boy a sandwich sold in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
No, you are thinking of a Po Boy and they sell them everywhere in NOLA.

just wont spend my money till I can see what I'm getting
Gunbuilding isn't like stamp collecting....you don't get guns on approval.  A kit is a group of commonly available components (brand names included in kit description) and a stick of wood pre-shaped into the general shape of said gun.  Fifty people could buy the kit and all the guns would look different, depending on the builder's skill.  What you get is what YOU make from it.  You can make a "poor boy" from any kit on the market.  Just leave the appropriate components out of the build.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »
    Try Sitting Fox muzzleloaders. com, they have a Poor Boy kit for about $400.00.    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
You can make a poor boy or "barn" gun from any kit that does not have the buttplate inletted.   Bear in mind, you are only saving money by not having to buy a buttplate, sideplate, or entry pipe, and the time required to fit them.   Other than
that, if you buy good parts........swamped barrel, good lock, deceant piece of wood, have it shaped.........you are still
investing $600-$700.............Don

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:11 AM »
I didn't ask about stamp collecting, or the cost of a kit or anything but a suggestion on where to buy a kit. Aparently a few on here would rather pick an arguement than either leave the question alone or answer it in a courteous manner. So forget I asked. Think I'll buy another bow and to $#*! with a poor boy. Frank

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:30 AM »
OK, so I started with a snide remark.  I apologize. So, FRJ, if you want to build a Barn gun, poor boy, or schimmel.  Here's what I would suggest, assuming you wish to get the best for your buck.  Give Troy Roope a call at Stonewall Creek Outfitters.  He can set you up with a .32 to .40 cal. 3/4" barreled Rayle barrel for $140, and breech it for you for an extra $20.  For about $150 he can get you a nice precarve in Southern Mountain, or Tennessee, and for less than $135 a nice late Ketland Chambers lock.  Small parts may add another $35 to $50.  You can easily make the thimbles trigger guard, and there's a tutorial for triggers.  Sights are cheap, and this site will help you along the way.  Take your time and you will have a gun you will be proud to post here.  You could do it for less but I don't think you will have a quality gun from some of the others at this price.  If you are going flint you need a quality lock, or you will soon grow unhappy from frustration.  You might even get lucky and have Troy's son decorate the shipping box for you.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
Think I'll buy another bow and to $#*! with a poor boy.

;D That's funny!

John
John Robbins

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
FRJ- Seems you're a bit up tight today  :(  Think of all the fun you'll miss if you take your bow and go home !  You did in fact ask pretty much the same thing back on May 5th
and were pointed to a couple of places. The TVM site of Matt and Toni in fact show a picture of the rifle you're looking for , but not under the "kit"- rather,  with the Tennessee rifle listing. Also the post on May 5th had a fellow show his rifle that he built from their kit. Pretty basic stuff, but yours would come out pretty close as the own shown I'm sure.  One thing I would say, from reading the past post, is that there are better stock designs IMO if you are wanting a .58 cal.  Wider butt, and less drop will be more shooter friendly . I built a TVM tennessee rifle in .32 with a 3/4 in barrel years ago, and liked it. A .58 would take a 1 in barrel, [ unless you go with a swamped barrel] and would probably end up pretty muzzle heavy.
I have built a Lancaster style rifle without a butt plate in .54 and it is a joy to shoot. Something to consider. :)