Author Topic: optivisor suggestions  (Read 5516 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
optivisor suggestions
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:26:47 PM »
 I have more scratches than visibility on my cheap plastic lens visor. Any recommendations on which models of optivisors to get for basic gun work as well as engraving. I am thinking maybe the 4 or 5 and the 10?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: optivisor suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »
I use a #7 for about everything I use magnification for.  I would like to get the next stronger power and try this out for engraving.  I have a 4 or 5 and don't ever use it.

billd

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
It's neat how you can tell the age of people by their replies.   Jim Kibler said "I use a #7 for about everything I use magnification for."    I also use a #7 and use magnification for most everything.   ;D

Bill

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:23:24 PM »
When I need magnification I use a #5 but I suspect if I did engraving I would want a #10. Never really needed any magnification until I had my cataracts removed and they gave me close to 20/20 implants. I used to just remove my contacts, was so near sighted I could easily see the finest detail, not anymore!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kutter

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:29 AM »
I started out using the #10 lense (3 1/2 power?) for engraving and ended up useing it for everything.

The higher the magnification, the less working room you have between the lense and the work itself .
That may push some to use a less powerful lense.

But being used to the #10 all these years, I don't find it a bother.
It does get your nose pretty close to a mill cutter & lathe chuck though....

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »
I've tried using an optivisor in the past and didn't like it.
I'm nearsighted, so when I really need magnification I work without my glasses.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:06 AM »
I go to the drug store and get different power reading glasses, they dont cost that much and I dont have that band around my head.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
I have more scratches than visibility on my cheap plastic lens visor. Any recommendations on which models of optivisors to get for basic gun work as well as engraving. I am thinking maybe the 4 or 5 and the 10?

I have a 5 and a 10
The 5 works better for most things but I use the 10 a lot too. Longer focus of the 5 works better for engraving.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

California Kid

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:59:03 AM »
JC, I use a 5 for most work and 7 for engraving. For me at this point the 10 doesn't give enough clearance to the work. Things change though. I also use $1.00 store glasses in various powers, depends on what I'm working on.

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
I've found that the #5 works pretty well w/ my eyes and appreciate the longer focal length. Tried the "dime store" magnifying glasses and w/o any correction, they just enlarge the "blur".Judging  from the previous posts, might just try a # 7....eyes aren't getting any better....Fred

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
It's neat how you can tell the age of people by their replies.   Jim Kibler said "I use a #7 for about everything I use magnification for."    I also use a #7 and use magnification for most everything.   ;D

Bill
You can also tell by how far up the barrel the sight has moved! Figure @ a half inch a year after 55,like rings on a tree!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
I have a 3, 7, & a 10. I use the 3 for general rifle work like inletting and carving. I use the 7 & 10 for engraving, I use the 10 more than the 7 but I use both. My wife does beading and she uses my 10 a good bit to do that. I don't mind the band and I can flip them up out of the way if I don't need them.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 12:26:45 AM »
I tried all the Optivisor lenses in a kit of 4 I think.... didn't like them

Now here is a solution I roundly recommend...... Talk to your dentist or MD friends..ask if they have any old surgical loupes 

Great magnification... usually 2x or 4x   and a light.. old one plug in like mine...new ones have batteries...... They are terrific.. and free or cheap...... new they are $600+++
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
The higher the magnification the longer it takes to complete a build. All you keep seeing is more things that need to be fixed.  ;D

I use a 5 for engraving.