Author Topic: engraving rouletting on a barrel  (Read 2221 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
engraving rouletting on a barrel
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »
Hi folks,
I am trying to engrave the round beading or rouletting common on the breech end of barrels on English guns in the late 18th century.  It is essentially like doing a very large nick and dot border on both sides of the border so that you have a running string of roundels or circles. Do any of you have experience rouletting on barrels and if so do you have any tricks to share?  Acer, Jerry H, or Steve Lindsay, can you help me out?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Kentucky Jeff

Re: engraving rouletting on a barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:34:23 AM »
I believe you are referring to a border that is made up of a series of circles cut in between two lines.  The way I was taught to make that border was to scribe your two line and then measure and scribe a series of squares measuring from the center of the work out to the sides.  Once you have the lines and squares scribed you cut your border lines and then cut quarter circles across the piece  until you eventually work your way all the way around each square.  Then you cut out the background using the same square graver but tilting it off to one side to make a bigger cut.