Author Topic: Don Stith's "kits".......?  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Skychief

Don Stith's "kits".......?
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »
Do any of you have experience with Mr Stith's kits?

I am especially interested in his Hawken Squirrel rifles.

I also wonder if he might inlet one for a 13/16" straight barrel.

Many thanks, Skychief.

Offline Curt Larsen

Re: Don Stith's "kits".......?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
I've only seen two of Don's kits, his 1792 contract rifle and a model 1803 HF.  I bought one of the last of Don's 1803 kits and it is first rate.  A friend built the 1792 contract rifle, although I picked the kit up for him from Don before Don moved to the Valley.  That one too looked good to me.  The wood is good, unlike some of the wood that I've seen or worked with from TOW kits.  Don is really an expert on those St. Louis type rifles that led to exploration of the plains up river from there.  No doubt those kits are good as well.
Curt

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
A few yrs back, I built a  LH Stith S. Hawken, the parts were excellent and seeing I had never built one of his "kits", Don was very helpful in  sending pics of certain areas and also e-mailed a lot of advice. These  half  stock "kits" are more difficult to build than flint LRs, but surely do produce an authentic looking "Hawken" . The customer was elated w/ the results and it's his elk rifle.....Fred
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:43:35 PM by flehto »

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
Do any of you have experience with Mr Stith's kits?
I am especially interested in his Hawken Squirrel rifles.
I also wonder if he might inlet one for a 13/16" straight barrel.
Many thanks, Skychief.
I suspect he would unless it throws the architecture off. Mine was inlet for a Hawken style patent breech and a tapered barrel. Call or email him to see if he will do it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline stoneke

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:21 PM »
I am in the process of building a second of Don's half stock Hawken Kits. The hardware has been first rate and the  grade level quality of the wood has exceeded my expectations. The rough shaping is well done and doesn't leave you with conflicting "given points". Don is a real gentleman and very open to lend assistance. I would not hesitate to buy another kit from him.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
I like Don's component part kits and he has been helpful to me in the past.  There are some questions no one else knows how to answer and Don is always willing to point me in the right direction.  Very Helpful.
                                                   Roger Sells

Offline Skychief

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:58:36 AM »
I appreciate the feedback guys.  Mr. Stith and his kits sound first-rate.

More replies welcomed, Skychief.