Author Topic: forend and nosecap questions  (Read 2825 times)

Offline draken

forend and nosecap questions
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »
With a straight barrel, it seems logical that the width of the forend would be the same for its entire length, with the nosecap matching that width.

With a swamped barrel, it makes sense that the forend width would follow the contour of the barrel.   Or should it be straight?   The barrel is a swamped B weight, measuring 13/16 at the muzzle. 
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline rsells

Re: forend and nosecap questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
I make my nose caps contour with the swamped barrel making the outside line of the nose cap parallel to the contour of the swamp of the barrel.   I am not sure that is the way the old folks did it, but I think it looks better.
                                                                                      Roger Sells

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »
I do the same as Roger.  The nose cap needs a little springiness to go on.
kind regards, heinz

Offline wmrike

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
I don't know what the PC line is.  Not all flares on swamped barrels are the same.  Though there are practical aspects to the swamp, I consider the flare at the end to be a nice aesthetic.  On one of my guns with a C Colerain I added a bit of flare to the wood, maybe a 1/16" of overall width in the last 5-6 inches.  You need a sharp eye to realize what's going on there, but I think it looks nice.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
I think that if you contour your stock to the barrel shape the flare of the swamp will automatically occur. Same with the nose cap. The only area you can't do much about is the rammer channel, rammer is straight.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
This should possibly be a new topic, and seeing I have viewed only a couple of originals, I/m puzzled if what I'm doing is HC/PC. The MC sides are made approx. 3/32"-1/8" depending on bbl swamp and the 1/16" of wood running alongside the swamped bbl is gradually increased to that of the MC.  Sure looks good, anyways to me, but is this HC correct? .....Fred