Author Topic: vent or nipple replacement  (Read 2777 times)

ken

vent or nipple replacement
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
How often do most folks replace there vent or nipple? What tells you it it time? I am thinking of it and can not deside. Always looking for more accracy  ken

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: vent or nipple replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
When the diameter of the vent gets up over to 5/64 to 3/32" is when I start thinking to change, or if I see signs like blowing grains of powder out the vent when I ram the ball down the bore,  or the jet of flame ignites any article of clothing worn by the guy to the right of me on the firing line.   For percussion,  being able to get a drill bit  or wire  of 1/32"  (if I remember the rule of thumb correctly) diameter all the way through the nipple, or cues like hammer blowback.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:20:24 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
How often do most folks replace there vent or nipple? What tells you it it time? I am thinking of it and can not deside. Always looking for more accracy  ken
If you are looking for accuracy then anything over .070 likely needs replacing in a FL vent. If the vent is NOT over sized and works well then there is little reason to change it.
Do all the load development you can. Even with a .070 vent the rifle should be accurate enough for to shoot Xs at 50 yards with the right load.
If you have not done so I recommend that you order Dutch Schoultz's information on load development.
http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
Percussion rifles are simple, buy a new nipple, NOT a "hot shot" which come already oversized,  and compare. If the old nipple is significantly larger then change it out. I recommend a standard steel or stainless steel nipple.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »
When my flinter started dropping the point of impact by over an inch at 100 yards (benched).  I start my vents at 5/64".

Waaayyy back there it was when the per-suction hammer came to half cock but should have been sooner.

No, I don't count the number of shots fired.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »
i keep a rough tally on how many pounds of powder I've run through the gun or rifle, and check every 5-10 pounds.  The rifle I'm shooting most these days has a White Lightnin' liner, and at the ten pound check, it hadn't enlarged enough to worry about (wouldn't take the next size drill bit).