Author Topic: Small "English" Silers  (Read 5134 times)

Offline LynnC

Small "English" Silers
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Maybe  ::)  - Lets see if I can make'em work - Well I'll Be, it did work!

As requested, here are a couple of small Silers.  Sorry I didn't edit size or crop - my first solo pic posting.

They are good fast locks

Round tail was my first attempt several years ago for my Mtn rifle.  Reshaped/rounded the pan.  Thinned the frizzen a little bit and altered toe position.  Slimmed the frizzen spring.  Took the lump off below the lower jaw of the cock and did some reshaping.  Rounded the lock plate and moved the molding forward.

Second attempt for my grand daughters Mtn rifle.  Though not yet finished, I like the way it turned out.  I emphasized the pigeon breasted look of the cock.  Went with the teat style at rear of lock plate and again rounded the pan.  Still need to grind on the frizzen a bit and slim the frizzen spring.

The first lock got a light antique finish.  Under such magnification it looks like the 2nd could use a good going over in the finishing  department   ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:46:34 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Ted Kramer

Re: Small "English" Silers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
I like it.

It's surprising how taking a bit of the excess metal off here and there can change the looks so much. The pan shape turned out very well, did you deepen/reshape the pan cavity any?

Ted K

Offline Longknife

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
COOL, I have been mulling getting a small siler kit to re-convert a late english flintlock that was previously "butchered". I think it will work fine....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
There is enough meat on a Siler to turn it Siler into a round faced English lock, cock and all.  Ron Ehlert built a Jaeger and round faced a large Siler and you would never of known it was a Siler from the outside if he did not tell you.
DMR

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
Great work Lynn.

Will you tell me which web site you used to upload your images?  Is it photobucket or some other?  I cannot drag your pics...they are distorted, and I suspect it is because of the provider.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
Hey Ted - only polished the pan though there is plenty of meat to both deepen and widen.

One thing I did on the round tail lock was to flair the pan fence back about 1/16".  Helped get the pan fence closer to lining up with the breech. Looks more original too. 

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »
Thanks Longknife - I hope the plate can be reshaped to fit your mortise.

DMR - I had wondered if there was enough lock plate to make a round face fowler lock.  Good to know.

D Taylor - I used tinypic.com which seems to be owned by photo bucket.  It was easy but if the pics can't be saved maybe I should use the real photo bucket.  I'm actually quite honored you'd save my crude stuff for future reference :)

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
D Taylor - I was able to save by right click the mouse and choosing "save image as" and it worked on my pc.  That's the way I save pics from alr that I want to keep.  Only way I've figured out how to do it  ::) and found it only by accident.  I am computer challenged to put it mildly.........................Lynn

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
It's a mac thing.  "Save as" works for PCs.  Will send Taylor an email with the pix attached.
Andover, Vermont

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »
Rich...thanks a lot.  Yes, they came through even better than on the ALR.  When I dragged them to the desktop, first they were inverted, and then when I clicked on each to view, they were distorted badly.  The ones Rich sent were perfect, only bigger.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 12:59:12 AM »
Whooooops!  Spoke too soon.  Same thing happened when I dragged and clicked on them.  Oh well.  I get the idea.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »
you've got to stop dragging Taylor!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
If you have a Mac, go to the  'Preview' program. Under 'File', pretty far down is "take screen shot" selection. One of those choices is 'from selection'. Click on one corner of the image you want to capture, drag over the image and release on the other corner, and you got it on your desktop.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 05:09:22 AM »
Thanks for trying to get D T the pics Rich

D Taylor - That's interesting that they showed up inverted as that's the way I took them in the first place to get the light and shadows as eliminated as possible  - Go figure.

Anyway I hope some found these of intrerest.....................Lynn