Author Topic: How do you remove breech plugs from old double barrels  (Read 4920 times)

Rainman

How do you remove breech plugs from old double barrels
« on: May 21, 2011, 04:59:03 AM »
I have an old Belgium made double barrel that was given to me.  I am restoring it and was wondering what the best mehtod is to get the Breech plugs out so I can hone the barrels.

Offline Longknife

Re: How do you remove breech plugs from old double barrels
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
I can understand why no one wants to comment as there so many questions to be asked and much caution needs to be taken when working with these century old barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most on this board would recomend NOT to attempt shooting these antique barrels as some have come apart and serious injuries have resulted!!!!
My first advise would be to make SURE the barrels are not loaded---It happens all the time......My second advise would be that if you are not experienced in breeching and un breeching barrels that you should not attempt it...My Third advise, if #2 is true, would be to have a competent gunsmith, who is experiereced in SXS's to examine them and determine if they are salvegeable.....That being said the left plug is inserted first and then the right plug "locks" in the left plug, so the right plug needs to be removed FIRST. It would be best to soak the barrels breech-end in a coffee can of penetrant, overnight, over a week, sometimes a month---year??? If there are no "breechplug "centering marks on the bottom of the barrels then you need to make on on each barrel.  Then secure the barrels in large vice with padded jaws, use a suitable tool to unscrew the right plug, then the left. As a last resort, it is possible that a little heat may be  applied to the BARREL where the threads are to help removal--Other "thoughts"--- it is not always necessary to remove the plugs to hone a barrel---Damascus barrels are prone to rusting, splitting and cracking in the welds and CAN come apart upon fireing, hopefully during the proof test when you are a safe distance away. If you still feel the urge to shoot one of these front stuffer, scatterguns there are many repos on the market that can be purchased for usually around $500---or so, I think a coffin is MUCH MORE!!!Ed
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:47:08 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:46:10 PM »
The old archives have what you are looking for. Here are a couple of them  http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=6997.0
http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=10728.0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:51:58 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
Very carefully. Ask me how I know.  Use heavy leather pads in the vise jaws saturated with powdered rosin rubbed in to prevent slippage cause if they slip you might be faced with resoldering the ribs. I can tell you that is not a fun job but it is doable.
Good luck ??   Cheers   Bob

Taylors pics below is the best solution I have seen to date.   Bob
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:25:24 PM by greybeard »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
And shotgun barrels are easily crushable in a vice so don't let your pet gorilla twist the handle. 

Rainman

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies I have already had the barrels checked out the gunsmith told me the barrels are sound, but he did not want to remove the breech plugs.  I have built 5 rifles but this is my first shotgun and was wondering how to get a oil in to penetrate the threads.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
I have built 5 rifles but this is my first shotgun and was wondering how to get a oil in to penetrate the threads.

Kroil will penetrate a rock. Midway sells it.

omark

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
just curious why said gunsmith didnt want to remove them???     mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
I have a pair of Staudenmayer flint barrels and asked the same question.  Jerry Huddleston answered my question.  He said to take some good hardwood, roughly cut out for the barrels, lay in some Bondo and clamp the barrels in a vise.  Now you've got a good grip on those barrrels, and having soaked them in penetrating oil for a month, the breeches turned out easily, without damaging the hooks.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Rainman

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:28 AM »
The gunsmith is a friend and only works on guns part time.  Thanks Taylor that is what I was looking for.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
Be sure to Not clamp the barrels on the threaded portion. Leave them sticking up a bit like Taylor did.
john
John Robbins