Author Topic: Early Lancaster take 4 1/2 - Carving modification... Operation Acanthusize  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
I was out cutting grass today and it began to rain cat and dogs, so I put the mower away and took shelter in the shop where my gun happens to be.  Almost broke my heart to have to stop mowing and work on my rifle.   :D

Now back to the subject at hand.  I had several excellent suggestions about my tang carving attempt. The first attempt was to angular, and one suggestion was to make it into acanthus leaf forms.  I did some drawing on the original carving and then proceeded to attempt the acanthus modifications.

The modifications were made primarily with the stabbing method, using a small viener and gouges.  Modelling was done with a carving knife, chisels and gouges.  The carving is still kind of primitive but hopefully it is somewhat of an improvement.  My nerves were on edge the whole time I was working at it!  I could benefit from some tutoring and advice on modeling and detailed carving in general. (that is a hint) 

Below are some before and after pics.  I still have some cleanup work to do but ran out of time so here it is...

Before:

After:

Thanks for looking, and as always I welcome comments and advice.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
That's a huge improvement in terms of making it look more like period work!
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Thanks for the input, Gary.
Curtis Allinson
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Glenn

That looks great and I appreciate you posting it here because the photo is good quality and it gives me a great example to go by when I get started here in a month or so.  THANKS !!!   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
GRA,

I certainly appreciate the compliment of using my work for an example, but you would probably be much better served looking at an original for your inspiration, or some of the carvings of experienced builders.
But thanks anyways!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson

Offline J. Talbert

Much better after the modifications...  Next attempt would benefit from some more curves, ;D  Let those leaves bend a little, and put a little bow in that border that comes down along the tang, rather than that straight parallel line.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Glenn

GRA,

I certainly appreciate the compliment of using my work for an example, but you would probably be much better served looking at an original for your inspiration, or some of the carvings of experienced builders.
But thanks anyways!

Curtis

Yes but that's the type of design I've wanted to do.  It looks a liitle more like it's own true leaf.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.