Author Topic: 12 ga game gun patterns  (Read 4712 times)

Offline wattlebuster

12 ga game gun patterns
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:16:29 PM »
Got out this morning an found a load that Im very happy with an will stick with for turkey hunting. I measured 40 yrds with a 100 ft tape so there would be no guessing. Danny Caywood jug choked this full for me an he did a great job. It shoots dead on point of aim. I could get more holes in paper with smaller shot but I am fan of large shot. I shot all the yardages several time an all were very consistant. Here is the load an a pic of the results.110 gr of FG followed by a 12 ga wonder wad followed with a overpowder card then 110 grs of copper plated #4s followed with a thin overshot card. These patterns are nearly as good as my modern super full gun so I feel just as confident with my flinter as any modern I own
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

northmn

Re: 12 ga game gun patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Did I read correctly about the use of FG?  Patterns look pretty impressive.

DP

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Yes sir you did. FG shoots great in this gun and it shot great in a 10 ga double that i used to own.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

northmn

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
FG used to be "shotgun powder" and I have wondered whether it was the powder when they used to claim to use the same volume shot to powder.  Your patterns show some indication that may be.  I ahve almost a shot left in a can as I tried it when I used my percussion doubles on trap.  It worked.  Back then some liked it because it kicked less.  Was going to get some next time I ordered powder.  Makes sense in the bigger bores like your 12 also. 

DP

Steve-In

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
Very nice patterns.
I tried Fg in my 10 bore but I did not like the way it came out through my powder spout.  My spout has about a 3/8 diameter bore and I had to keep shaking the can so it would not jam up.  I should make a larger diameter spout and give it another try.
These patterns are nearly as good as my modern super full gun
And a whole bunch cheaper to shoot too LOL ;D

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
You got that right Steve. They are salty now but then agian what aint. Get you a bigger spout an give it a try, but also try some 2f an even some 3f . I tried all of them but this perticular smoothbore likes the Fg so thats what I will put through it. An good thing cause Ive still got a bunch left over from several years ago an it sure does need shootin

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:11:04 AM »
Got out this morning an found a load that Im very happy with an will stick with for turkey hunting. I measured 40 yrds with a 100 ft tape so there would be no guessing. Danny Caywood jug choked this full for me an he did a great job. It shoots dead on point of aim. I could get more holes in paper with smaller shot but I am fan of large shot. I shot all the yardages several time an all were very consistant. Here is the load an a pic of the results.110 gr of FG followed by a 12 ga wonder wad followed with a overpowder card then 110 grs of copper plated #4s followed with a thin overshot card. These patterns are nearly as good as my modern super full gun so I feel just as confident with my flinter as any modern I own

I guess you could have a barrel set up for choke tubes. Load it then put the tube back in.
I just don't see the point of choking a traditional ML.
Though I admit that shotgun only turkey seasons are a PITA and "skew" the firearms requirement.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:47 AM »
Here, the regulations state, shotgun or rimfire.

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
That looks pretty good Allan. You might be able to kill a turkey with that.
Regards...Frank    ;D

northmn

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »
I guess you could have a barrel set up for choke tubes. Load it then put the tube back in.
I just don't see the point of choking a traditional ML.
Though I admit that shotgun only turkey seasons are a PITA and "skew" the firearms requirement.
Dan
[/quote]

They use jug chokes which permit normal laoding although modern reproductions of doubles are now using chole tubes.  When I made my 12 bore halfstock, it had a modern barrel with a full choke.  You can load them with traditional card wads and fiber wads.  I reamed it out to about skeet so that I could hit something moving with it as it shot very tight with BP. 
Turkeys were commonly hunted with smaller bore rifles until the laws required shotguns.  I sometimes wonder if the smaller bores one sees in longrifles were not meant for turkey.  The 36 "squirrel rifle" I used to commonly see was also considered a good turkey gun.  "Skewing" the modern reproduction fowler for turkey makes a lot of sense as I doubt if that was their common use.  I suspect that they were used a lot for waterfowl.  Especially after reading some of Feltwads material. Hunting before game laws would have been intersting as one could take advantage of more opportunites.

DP