Author Topic: Patent breeched caplock and history ?  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Skychief

Patent breeched caplock and history ?
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:34:51 AM »
I am wanting to build a caplock with a non-hooked patent breech, with wedges instead of pins, either full or half stocked.   I am wanting a 32 caliber with a slim or swamped barrel.

Historically speaking, can you name any rifles from the past that are as described above?   I am interested in trying to remain HC.

Many thanks, Skychief.

Offline Skychief

Re: Patent breeched caplock and history ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:36:14 AM »
Also, do you know if the original Hawken "squirrel" rifles were all Hooked-breeched?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
You could build a Hawken squirrel rifle either way, and it would be correct, I think.  I'd build one either way for sure, and not be concerned about being HC.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
Also, do you know if the original Hawken "squirrel" rifles were all Hooked-breeched?

Even Hawken mountain rifles were not all hook breeched. But it was generally the case with the later rifles.
There are 15 rifles, 9 in "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850", and 6 more in "The Kentucky Rifle a True American Heritage in Picture" that have patent breeches.
One is listed as 30 caliber and a number are under 40. Most do not appear to be "hooked".
Patent beeches were very common on the better grade guns.
This should take you to a S Hawken Squirrel Rifle in the Cody Firearms Museum
http://old.bbhc.org/collections/bbhc/CFM_ObjectPage.cfm?museum=CFM&VarObjectKey=40436

And a FS "Mountain" rifle with a solid patent breech
http://old.bbhc.org/collections/bbhc/CFM_ObjectPage.cfm?museum=CFM&VarObjectKey=38459

There are 2 other FS HAwkens one with a solid and one with a hook breech. One set of photos in the digital collection is actually these 2 separate guns. One has been converted from flint (and is hooked) but is what appears to be a Kentucky style heavy match rifle weighing 15 pounds.
http://old.bbhc.org/collections/bbhc/CFM_ObjectPage.cfm?museum=CFM&VarObjectKey=32976

The 1/2 stock Hawkens they have in the digital collection that I looked at all appear to be "hooked".
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Skychief

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys.   BTW, I did a search last night and found that Cody digital collection.....lots of fodder for good ideas there!

Thanks again, Skychief.