Author Topic: building a double barrel flintlock  (Read 2610 times)

camerl2009

building a double barrel flintlock
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »
ok so see here for the last post http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15622.30

now what alloy to use for breech plugs as i do not know what steel alloy to use for best working breech

i need to mke my breech plugs becuse no one sells them now id buy the book but right now i dont have $50+ for it
so online is where i need to get my info

there is no place near me that will do it nor is anyone around to help so i need to do it my self its not to hard to throw some threads on a piece of barstock but what alloy to use ive never done my own breech

people have said buy them becuse i dont know what im doing well we went down that road already and im not able to buy them look in the link above
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:42:08 AM by camerl2009 »

Offline bob in the woods

Re: building a double barrel flintlock
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »
A low carbon steel , so it won't harden or become brittle, is what I would use. I made mine from a piece of wrought iron I purchased from Brad Emig. I have a bad feeling , though, that someday, you are going to make some lawyer very happy.  :(  By the way,  I made mine with hand tools because I wanted to learn,and experience how a back country 18th C. smith might have done it. I'm in no hurry to make another.  Breach plugs [ and barrels ] are cheap when you consider the work involved as well as the liability. Spend the money and buy the book. All my books are worth more to me than the $ I spent. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
By the way, I don't think I'll add anything further , as I don't want to be implicated in any tragic outcomes.
I respect the power of black powder, which I believe, is capable of pressures in the 100,000 PSI range.
When it comes to barrels and plugs, you really need to know what you're doing.

Dave K

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Yes, buy Bill Brockway's book! It holds the answers to many questions you have on this subject and just how to do it.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Camerl2009,

Your previous thread on this topic was locked by the moderators and the following message was sent to you.  Perhaps you missed the PM, so here it is....

"In response to requests by members and after discussion with other moderators, 3 topics you started have been locked.  The topics are at best slightly related to the longrifle.   More important there are safety issues arising in all three topics.  Safety is first here."

This topic is also locked.  Please do not open a new topic on this subject.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie