Author Topic: Route 62 into Friendship, In.  (Read 4872 times)

coutios

Route 62 into Friendship, In.
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:28:17 AM »
 For those headed to Friendship In. for the Spring Shoot in June...  Head to the NMLRA's web site under News and Photos, there is a series of photos showing a large section of Rt 62 West that has washed out.. You will need to find another way in as I don't think this will be repaired anytime soon...

Regards
Dave

Offline Skychief

Re: Route 62 into Friendship, In.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Dave.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »
You can get into Friendship the back way by going through Versailles. Coming into Versailles from the North you will come upon a McDonalds, that's where you turn left. The Highway patrol station is on down the road and they can give you directions. It's about 10-12 miles longer but will avoid Rte 62.
Mark
Mark

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:57:23 AM »
Dave.....are you talking about the road from Dillsboro to Friendship, or the road, up over the hill from the town of Friendship, over to Rt. 50?..........Don

Warner

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:34:44 AM »
The slide is between Dillsboro and Friendship.
Friendship Rd. is open,the "official " detour is 50 west to SR 129 to Cross Plains.
The rumor is that is will be closed for a year.
Several days after it occurred I drove drove it ---and will not do that again.I have been told they are now issuing tickets
Warner

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
With not being able to come in from the east on 62, can you imagine the traffic there will
be from the west on 62 going by the range to the flea market?  Man, this ought to be something :o
The Pistol Shooter

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 09:30:59 PM »
With not being able to come in from the east on 62, can you imagine the traffic there will
be from the west on 62 going by the range to the flea market?  Man, this ought to be something :o

There is usually a good bit of traffic, anyway!  Can't believe it will take a year to fix that road, but it is probably true.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »

There is usually a good bit of traffic, anyway!  Can't believe it will take a year to fix that road, but it is probably true.

Might take 10 years if an EIS is needed ::)
In AK far worse earthquake damage won't close the road for more than a day or so at the most.
But AK has more money the Indiana I expect.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
That section of road has slid and been repaired so many times over the past 40 years.  I think they did one major repair about 10 or 15 years ago or so and put in some sheet piling, and I have always wondered when it was gonna go beyond the point of a quick fix again. We have had a big year on slides this year due to all the rain - the hills around here are all weathered shale and clay and notorius for slides.  Lots of road closures on these old two lanes in the region at the moment.

There is another decent route in - Friendship Road - runs from US 50 (almost) straight on down into the town area of Friendship where it intersects with 62.  I think there is one dog-leg turn you have to do to stay on the right road but you can look it up on Google Maps.  Parts of it are narrow/small country lane and you do have to descend a pretty good hill so you might not plan on bringing a large trailer or RV on it.  I have used it on a Saturday or Sunday to avoid the flea market on 62 on the east side of  the range, even in years when the road up the hill on 62 is in good shape.  Of course, it dumps you right into the flea market area on the west side of the range.... ;)  so none of the routes are ideal...

Guy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:07:36 PM by G-Man »