Author Topic: Partial buttstocks  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Ezra

Partial buttstocks
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
Where can you buy partial buttstocks (I guess that is what they are called) so I can practice my carving?  You know, the ones with just the rear part of the stock?

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: Partial buttstocks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »
We have used these at the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar for a number of years. John Bivins came up with the idea for his carving classes and he began calling them "Quaker stocks" since they would never become working firearms. The name stuck.
Several different sources have been used including Bob Leppley (Sp?) and Jon Laubach. Jim Chambers probably has the contact info for Bob.  Jon is listed on the CLA site and his contact info is: 4950 Windy Lane
Barhamsville, VA 23011

The advantage of using a purpose made "Quaker stock" over a rejected preturned is that the QS will not have a barrel channel or lock inlet to work around. Either would work.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: Partial buttstocks
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 02:58:08 AM »
If getting the quaker stocks become a hassle, just get a piece of hard maple from your local wood supplier.  I get them from the cutoff bin for about a buck. Round off the approximate shape of the area you are concerned with.  I have done this with nothing but a larger gouge, wood rasp and crosscut saw.  Probably took me 15 minutes.  Then after you carve on it, rasp it off again and repeat.  If the wood is a couple inches thick you can approximate the tang area and area at the entry pipe quite easily as well.  You don't need large pieces as the area behind the cheekpiece is the largest required.